brentor boy
New Member
The 1911 census gives the total number of children born to a couple, and the number still alive and those predeceased in 1911. As children frequently died in their early years and, most inconsiderately, between censuses, does anyone have any tips for tracing these "lost" children?
I have assumed a gap of more than three years between known children could indicate a premature death. If, helpfully, all other children were registered at the same location, I have looked for the death of a child of tender years in that area before the next following census. In one instance I was fortunate enough to find only one potential candidate but in another I found a multitude of possibilities. The forenames of the children gave no clue.
Any suggestion how I might further reduce the list before making contact with the Register Office?
I have assumed a gap of more than three years between known children could indicate a premature death. If, helpfully, all other children were registered at the same location, I have looked for the death of a child of tender years in that area before the next following census. In one instance I was fortunate enough to find only one potential candidate but in another I found a multitude of possibilities. The forenames of the children gave no clue.
Any suggestion how I might further reduce the list before making contact with the Register Office?