• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Looking for a Link...

I was looking at the costs of having a set of arms created from both the College of Arms and the Court of the Lyon for my university course (well into the 1,000s of pounds even 10s of thousands!) so I have become a little daunted about asking them for what the price might be...
You are presumably not looking at having a set of arms created, just looking for information. My dealing with the College of Arms was more years ago than I care to remember, but the cost then was just over £100. No doubt if you google you will find out what they charge now, but I would expect hundreds rather than thousands.
 
That comes via FamilySearch and is misleading as it relates to the marriage licence which was granted in York, and is now held by the Borthwick Institute. The marriage itself was in Halifax on 7 Sep 1737 - she was of Norwich (baptised at St Peter Mancroft on 23 Aug 1707) and he was a wool sorter of Leeds.

Halifax is actually better than Borthwick - it's the closest large town to where the Saltonstalls are said to have come from and a few of the American branch considered themselves "of Halifax".

Why does it not surprise me that something managed to get lost in translation?

You are presumably not looking at having a set of arms created, just looking for information. My dealing with the College of Arms was more years ago than I care to remember, but the cost then was just over £100. No doubt if you google you will find out what they charge now, but I would expect hundreds rather than thousands.

Still doesn't fill me with inspiration to ask - I have to double anything that is in pounds to get something which approximates $AU and something that starts at $200 a long time ago probably might still be prohibitive and need some judicious saving first.
 
Update:
I can say (although this does not necessarily prove anything given the errors) that the Saltonstall arms appear in Papworth's Ordinary twice as follows:
1. Argent a bend between two eagles displayed sable - Saltonstall, co. York

and

2. Or a bend between two eagles displayed sable - Saltonstall, V*. Saltonston, co. York; and Lord Mayor of London 1597. Saltenstall London, granted by Cooke, V.

This would suggest that the arms were given to the Lord Mayor of London (I could be reading this incorrectly) in 1597, which means to Sir Richard.
 
Back
Top