Andrew Lloyd
LostCousins Star
In summary my overall impression of the lives site is that it is a wonderful idea but slightly flawed in its implementation.
I have so far created one community which contains 54 men - the platoon in which my grandfather served and using a photograph album he left behind. I am in the process of creating a second community based on a war memorial in the Birmingham area. I have created life stories for each of the 78 men in this community hence I need the subscriber access to create this community. I like to create as complete as possible a life story for each of the men in the community not just the ones I am connected to, but I only "remember" those to whom I have a connection.
I feel the way you need to create "evidence" before you can record a "fact", and in many cases creating evidence means having to have either an FMP or Ancestry subscription, is off putting. I am fortunate in that I have a subscription to both, but I can't help feeling that the cost of adding a fact will be putting off the majority of good people that could be making valuable contributions. I suspect many stories, photos, diaries, letters etc are being lost to this site as a result.
On the site there is a section for improvement ideas which is well organised and full of good ideas that would improve the user experience considerably. Although many of the ideas are marked as "planned", frustratingly these never seem to materialise - some of the "planned" ideas have been around for over a year. The idea I would most like to see is the ability to add photographs to communities, not just to individuals.
On the positive side, the responsiveness of the IWM volunteers is second to none - not only have they answered my immediate query, but have gone on to make further suggestions for my research. I must say I have found the experience totally addictive, even when researching soldiers to whom I have no connection, and boy have I learnt a lot about WW1, especially reading many of the newspaper articles concerning the individual soldiers.
I have so far created one community which contains 54 men - the platoon in which my grandfather served and using a photograph album he left behind. I am in the process of creating a second community based on a war memorial in the Birmingham area. I have created life stories for each of the 78 men in this community hence I need the subscriber access to create this community. I like to create as complete as possible a life story for each of the men in the community not just the ones I am connected to, but I only "remember" those to whom I have a connection.
I feel the way you need to create "evidence" before you can record a "fact", and in many cases creating evidence means having to have either an FMP or Ancestry subscription, is off putting. I am fortunate in that I have a subscription to both, but I can't help feeling that the cost of adding a fact will be putting off the majority of good people that could be making valuable contributions. I suspect many stories, photos, diaries, letters etc are being lost to this site as a result.
On the site there is a section for improvement ideas which is well organised and full of good ideas that would improve the user experience considerably. Although many of the ideas are marked as "planned", frustratingly these never seem to materialise - some of the "planned" ideas have been around for over a year. The idea I would most like to see is the ability to add photographs to communities, not just to individuals.
On the positive side, the responsiveness of the IWM volunteers is second to none - not only have they answered my immediate query, but have gone on to make further suggestions for my research. I must say I have found the experience totally addictive, even when researching soldiers to whom I have no connection, and boy have I learnt a lot about WW1, especially reading many of the newspaper articles concerning the individual soldiers.