• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

LIVER AND BACON WITH OR WITHOUT ONIONS - THE AMBROSIA OF THE GODS

You can't, but it's a lot of work if you make your own Hollandaise sauce, and an awful lot of calories too. My compromise is slightly runny scrambled egg over black forest ham (if available, home-cooked ham if not), served on a muffin, crumpet, or half a slice of toast (according to availability).
Yes I have had a go at making my own Hollandaise sauce, not over successful and as you say a lot of work, which considering just for relatively simple breakfast dish, is not really my scene. I always avoid making a Hollandaise using a mix, but there are some half decent (one might say very decent) ready prepared ones on the market. The secret is not to overdo its use in creating an Eggs Benedict - but again that is left to individual choice.

By the way I have no recollection of Black Forest Ham but my wife recalls she has seen it on sale at a nearby (about 6 miles) Fine-Foods Shop which we try to visit once a month. It is an absolute cornucopia of specialist foods which include vegetables, cheeses, meats and general foodstuff from around the country - specialising in Kent (where it is located), other areas of the south east and Italy (as it is owned by an Italian family) but almost every quality food stuff found in Europe can be bought there. They also have their own butchery department and Wine Store.

When we visit I spend a long time browsing (often to my wife's annoyance although she can spend ages taking in their cheeses). We never fail to buy something and it is surprising how far flung their range can be taking in Canada and America, India and Japan and others in between. Mind you it is not cheap but of high standard (Garlic bulbs the size of cricket balls) and Potatoes by variety and bought singly if necessary. Sooner or later something takes my fancy (or that of my wife) and it goes into the basket and one just pays the asking price.

I will be sure to look out for Black Forest Ham and knowing them, will be offered to 'try before I buy'.
 
Mind you I know plenty of people my wife included who will not touch even a faintly undercooked white of an egg however cooked and in the past my friends wife when staying with us would always ask for her fried egg to be well done. My interpretation of this (copying the American 'Easy-Over') failed and it took several tries before I could produce a 'well-done' egg that met her standards. (As far as I was concerned you could have soled your shoes with the end result).
The trick is to put the frying pan under the grill half-way through. If you try to cook a fried egg from the bottom upwards it does end up rubbery.
 
I will be sure to look out for Black Forest Ham
As far as I know Lidl is the only chain to stock it in the UK. Aldi offer the best Schwarzwalder Schinken but don't sell it in the UK. Waitrose used to have it on their deli counter, and that's where I first discovered it in the early 90s, but they discontinued it about 15 years ago. It has a gorgeous smoky taste and because the flavours are so intense it can be sliced very thinly, which makes it healthy and economical.
 
As far as I know Lidl is the only chain to stock it in the UK. Aldi offer the best Schwarzwalder Schinken but don't sell it in the UK. Waitrose used to have it on their deli counter, and that's where I first discovered it in the early 90s, but they discontinued it about 15 years ago. It has a gorgeous smoky taste and because the flavours are so intense it can be sliced very thinly, which makes it healthy and economical.
A new Lidl store opened this year and a couple of miles down the road from us. We visited it Friday as it happens and bought a few things we know we can only purchase from them, but obviously was not on the lookout for Black Forest Ham. The trouble with both Lidl and Aldi (and we know the latter better) is we know from experience (or have learned from others) that both are prone to having something which takes your fancy and then it disappears...until the next time. I could list many things that fall into this category and vexes both of us.

Will check out Lidl on our next visit and let you know how we get on, and likewise the fine food shop which we will visit again before 'C' is upon us.
 
I have never peeled a mushroom, nor have I ever washed them, just a gentle wipe with a paper towel maybe, how about everyone else?
I think I was in my thirties before I discovered it was even possible to peel a mushroom, and I couldn't understand why anyone would go to all that bother when it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference to the taste.

For cleaning them, we have a small mushroom brush which can be used to either wet or dry brush the mushrooms gently. If we're going to cook the mushrooms then we usually wet brush as it's quicker.
 
I think I was in my thirties before I discovered it was even possible to peel a mushroom
Wait until you attempt to stuff a mushroom, then you will have trouble. ;) I used to think sayings about "more than one way to skin a cat" or "if you think that hard try stuffing a mushroom" were just witty remarks, but leaving aside cat skinning, there are loads of recipes for stuffing mushrooms. Now garlic butter Mushrooms I love, but stuffing a mushroom I will leave to others.:rolleyes:
 
The secret is to know when to lift out the eggs from the vinegar water.
I hate the taste of poached eggs cooked in vinegar water. I never know why people do it. I have never had any trouble cooking poached eggs just like my mum used to in water.
As I don't drink coffee another hate is tea dispensed from an insulated jug that has previously served coffee.
I can taste the coffee. Yuk!
 
Back
Top