Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
This relates to Peter's Newsletter and about food one enjoyed as a child, and my eyes lit up when I saw Peter still enjoyed Liver and Bacon. Now I regard myself as something of an aficionado on the subject and have, in my time, crossed swords with dieticians, north versus south Pigs liver or Lambs and whether with or without onions. Even taken umbrage with a wealthy American who screwed up his face at the mention of 'Liver' as for those born the wrong side of the track. So here I go.
Looking back I would not regard my mother as a great cook (she boiled greens forever and roasted meat until "well done" was probably an understatement) but boy could she cook Liver and Onions. It was a once a week treat and the gravy that accompanied was out of the world...but always (repeat ALWAYS) Pigs liver or as it is now called, Pork liver. Lambs liver never saw the light of day in our house. (More on that in a moment as on Bacon as an accompaniment).
I recall back in my RAF days speaking with a Dietician who advocated Liver (no accompaniment just Liver) as the 'must have' in everyone's diet. She would wax lyrical in how nutritionally good it was, rich in this and that vitamin, and particularly iron. She referred to it as the Ambrosia of the gods. This pleased me although I knew from experience the Liver and Bacon (with onions on the side) served in the Mess was NOT Pigs liver, but lambs (as confirmed by the Cooks). When I mentioned this to the Dietician she assured me it did not matter as far as nutrition went and smiled when I said Lambs liver just had no taste. I even argued that as Bacon was served with it and one could help oneself to onions, this sort of made up for the taste difference.
Move forward many years and in a second marriage with a wife who, as a child, was brought up eating Pigs liver and onions I was overjoyed to find we shared the same taste. She was from Northampton (about 60 miles south of Birmingham) and where I discovered some family members advocated serving with Bacon and one I recall did away with the Onions...how awful!
Move forward to living in Kent I discovered Lambs liver was not only the norm but one had to place a special order with the Butcher to obtain Pork (how posh) Liver. Luckily this changed when Supermarkets (not sure about Waitrose) began to stock Pork Liver alongside Lambs, although in greatly reduced quantities. When we came across it we would buy two or three packs and freeze them.
Then I crossed swords with another lady Dietician, this time one referred by my doctor as I had put on weight and he thought I needed dietary advice. I can recall to this day being told that LIVER WAS A "NO-NO " as any form of offal was no longer part of any professional dietary advice. I cannot recall my exact response but do remember telling her of the first Dietician's advice of it being the Ambrosia of the Gods, only to be told... "things have changed". I also remember telling her IT WAS NOT advice I would heed and as I was Cook and both my wife and I loved the meal, it would remain on the Menu. I think we parted friends but just disagreed on eating Liver.
By now I was cooking Liver, Bacon and Onions but always Pigs Liver. On occasion I would order Liver & Bacon (always insisting on onions) in a Pub but in the south it always came up as Lambs Liver, so I gave up on this in the end. I know from experience eating out up north and talking to people from Lancashire and Yorkshire one learns of the great Pig/Lamb liver divide. But in the south most people choose Lambs liver because it is the easiest to get.
Only one tale remains to be told and that was (in my job) meeting up with a wealthy American for whom we were doing contract fit out work for his house in London. Taking him to lunch on behalf of the Company in London he volunteered that one of the things his money had brought was no longer having to eat LIVER as he had to do as a child because his family was born on the on the wrong side of the tracks. He added I expect it was the same over here? I politely disagreed with him saying that this lad from a working class family, and living in a Council House (had to explain what that was but he equated it to also being on the wrong side of the tracks) still enjoyed eating Liver accompanied by Bacon and Onions. He listened with the same a degree of politeness, but was not convinced.
These days I cook Pigs (classed as Pork) liver served with unsmoked back bacon lightly grilled, and sautéed onions and served with a thick onion gravy. Usually accompany by Broccoli. I am never so happy cooking as when Liver is on the Menu.
I should also add I sometimes like to obtain Calves Liver (which I know like Veal is a no no with some people) and as we no longer can just pop over to France from Kent for the day -as we did not that many years ago- have to rely these days on specialist suppliers. This takes things to fine dining levels, but I think I have covered the subject enough as it is and let others tell what meals they enjoyed as a child, and do so today.
Looking back I would not regard my mother as a great cook (she boiled greens forever and roasted meat until "well done" was probably an understatement) but boy could she cook Liver and Onions. It was a once a week treat and the gravy that accompanied was out of the world...but always (repeat ALWAYS) Pigs liver or as it is now called, Pork liver. Lambs liver never saw the light of day in our house. (More on that in a moment as on Bacon as an accompaniment).
I recall back in my RAF days speaking with a Dietician who advocated Liver (no accompaniment just Liver) as the 'must have' in everyone's diet. She would wax lyrical in how nutritionally good it was, rich in this and that vitamin, and particularly iron. She referred to it as the Ambrosia of the gods. This pleased me although I knew from experience the Liver and Bacon (with onions on the side) served in the Mess was NOT Pigs liver, but lambs (as confirmed by the Cooks). When I mentioned this to the Dietician she assured me it did not matter as far as nutrition went and smiled when I said Lambs liver just had no taste. I even argued that as Bacon was served with it and one could help oneself to onions, this sort of made up for the taste difference.
Move forward many years and in a second marriage with a wife who, as a child, was brought up eating Pigs liver and onions I was overjoyed to find we shared the same taste. She was from Northampton (about 60 miles south of Birmingham) and where I discovered some family members advocated serving with Bacon and one I recall did away with the Onions...how awful!
Move forward to living in Kent I discovered Lambs liver was not only the norm but one had to place a special order with the Butcher to obtain Pork (how posh) Liver. Luckily this changed when Supermarkets (not sure about Waitrose) began to stock Pork Liver alongside Lambs, although in greatly reduced quantities. When we came across it we would buy two or three packs and freeze them.
Then I crossed swords with another lady Dietician, this time one referred by my doctor as I had put on weight and he thought I needed dietary advice. I can recall to this day being told that LIVER WAS A "NO-NO " as any form of offal was no longer part of any professional dietary advice. I cannot recall my exact response but do remember telling her of the first Dietician's advice of it being the Ambrosia of the Gods, only to be told... "things have changed". I also remember telling her IT WAS NOT advice I would heed and as I was Cook and both my wife and I loved the meal, it would remain on the Menu. I think we parted friends but just disagreed on eating Liver.
By now I was cooking Liver, Bacon and Onions but always Pigs Liver. On occasion I would order Liver & Bacon (always insisting on onions) in a Pub but in the south it always came up as Lambs Liver, so I gave up on this in the end. I know from experience eating out up north and talking to people from Lancashire and Yorkshire one learns of the great Pig/Lamb liver divide. But in the south most people choose Lambs liver because it is the easiest to get.
Only one tale remains to be told and that was (in my job) meeting up with a wealthy American for whom we were doing contract fit out work for his house in London. Taking him to lunch on behalf of the Company in London he volunteered that one of the things his money had brought was no longer having to eat LIVER as he had to do as a child because his family was born on the on the wrong side of the tracks. He added I expect it was the same over here? I politely disagreed with him saying that this lad from a working class family, and living in a Council House (had to explain what that was but he equated it to also being on the wrong side of the tracks) still enjoyed eating Liver accompanied by Bacon and Onions. He listened with the same a degree of politeness, but was not convinced.
These days I cook Pigs (classed as Pork) liver served with unsmoked back bacon lightly grilled, and sautéed onions and served with a thick onion gravy. Usually accompany by Broccoli. I am never so happy cooking as when Liver is on the Menu.
I should also add I sometimes like to obtain Calves Liver (which I know like Veal is a no no with some people) and as we no longer can just pop over to France from Kent for the day -as we did not that many years ago- have to rely these days on specialist suppliers. This takes things to fine dining levels, but I think I have covered the subject enough as it is and let others tell what meals they enjoyed as a child, and do so today.
Last edited: