Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Does anyone have any thoughts, please, on why someone might choose to marry in Lincoln's Inn Chapel in 1736?
On the Lincoln's Inn website, the chapel is referred to as a venue for clandestine marriages until 1753. While I am aware of the reasons why people might opt for a clandestine marriage, the couple I am looking at married by licence, issued by the Bishop of London, and a marriage by licence can't really be considered clandestine.
The couple were both given as being from Wandsworth at the time of the marriage, and the groom is given on the bond as a "Gardiner".
On the Lincoln's Inn website, the chapel is referred to as a venue for clandestine marriages until 1753. While I am aware of the reasons why people might opt for a clandestine marriage, the couple I am looking at married by licence, issued by the Bishop of London, and a marriage by licence can't really be considered clandestine.
The couple were both given as being from Wandsworth at the time of the marriage, and the groom is given on the bond as a "Gardiner".