• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Latest Newsletter

Tim

Megastar and Moderator
Staff member
There is currently an issue with the existing bulk mailing system used to inform people that the latest Newsletter is available.

September's issue is available here, you don't want to miss it - some great Ancestry deals for all countries.

August's issue can be found here.
 
Realizing that I have not received an email regarding the latest newsletter, I have been looking for any others I have missed. Is there somewhere on the Lost Cousins site that I can find a list of newsletters from the beginning of 2026? I know that most newsletters have a link to the previous newsletter, but clicking that does not give me access to all the months. Thanks in anticipation.:rolleyes:
 
Is there somewhere on the Lost Cousins site that I can find a list of newsletters from the beginning of 2026?
If you go to the Lost Cousins site, at top left underneath the heading of Home is a link to the latest newsletter, each newsletter contains a link to the previous one, tedious maybe but I can't find a list.
 
Not all of the links have worked in recent newsletters. I had to Google to find the one I wanted to look at.
 
Not all of the links have worked in recent newsletters.
I have had that problem too. I started saving the newsletter emails so I could still find them, but now that I'm not getting the emails either I can't do that. I expect it will all get sorted out soon. Perhaps once the newsletter email problem has been fixed, working links to all of this years' newsletters can be included in one newsletter, so that everyone can see any that they have missed? (However I am sorry to be adding to Tim's 'to do' list.)
 
It could be achieved with relatively little effort by putting them all into a directory (folder) on the website [which maybe is the case already], and asking the hosting company to turn off the protection on that folder (maybe it could be done without needing to ask them, I know little of such matters). It used to be that if you went to http://hostname/directory/, and that directory did not contain an index.htm(l) file, you got a clickable listing of the files therein; because this gave people the ability to see what files were there, the default is now to pop up a "you don't have the authority to see that" message, but in the case of my provider, they were quite happy to turn that off for that one folder, and I would imagine most providers will allow it. (The browser manufacturers - at least, for Firefox and I think Thunderbird - allow access to their folder structure in this way for those who want access to older versions, as do various other software and some other repositories.)
[It might be worth renaming them - I think the current naming scheme is something like "early May 2026" - to something like "2026-5-A"; not necessary, but would make it easier for people to find the one they wanted, and see what's there.]
 
Not all of the links have worked in recent newsletters. I had to Google to find the one I wanted to look at.
Sorry Katie that idea did not work out, I did test it out but only for one maybe two newsletters.
Perhaps once the newsletter email problem has been fixed, working links to all of this years' newsletters can be included in one newsletter,
Excellent idea Sue.
John, the link does not work, I get 'This site can't be reached'. I did try several times.
 
Sorry, I meant if you go to a particular directory (a URL ending with "/") on a given website. For example, on mine, the one where I've had the hosters turn off the protection is https://255soft.uk/temp/ . I see the latest newsletter is https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/September2026LostCousinsNewsletter.htm ; however, if I go to https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/ , rather than seeing a list of newsletters, I get "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /newsletters2/ on this server." (which I think is a 403), rather than a clickable list of newsletters. My suggestion was to get that protection turned off - for that folder only - on the lostcousins server.
 
Sorry Katie that idea did not work out, I did test it out but only for one maybe two newsletters
I found April and May through a Google search. The more recent ones were all linked to from the next newsletter. I don't think there was a newsletter in February.
Sometimes the link was at the bottom of the newsletter.
A list somewhere could be useful.
 
We need to do some further testing on the new system but we hope to have it up to speed real soon. Also the search box should return.

In the meantime, you could try this.

To restrict your Google search results to a specific website, use the site: search operator, using this format
site:website.com search term

so as an example, I just tried site:lostcousins.com newsletters

This returned a list of results where Newsletters where mentioned.

This type of search can be used on any site.
 
I don't think there was a newsletter in February.
Sometimes the link was at the bottom of the newsletter.
A list somewhere could be useful.
There were two newsletters in February 5th & 25th. Other ones I have found by trawling through the year are January 9th & 23rd and March 2nd. Thanks to Tim who has filled in the blanks.
 
There were two newsletters in February 5th & 25th. Other ones I have found by trawling through the year are January 9th & 23rd and March 2nd. Thanks to Tim who has filled in the blanks.
Hi Heather, can you send me the links for 2nd March and the 2 in Feb please?
 
:) no problem, I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find them.

But, (and not for general release) The Newsletters and searching them will be a WHOLE lot easier on the new website.
 
Realizing that I have not received an email regarding the latest newsletter, I have been looking for any others I have missed. Is there somewhere on the Lost Cousins site that I can find a list of newsletters from the beginning of 2026? I know that most newsletters have a link to the previous newsletter, but clicking that does not give me access to all the months. Thanks in anticipation.:rolleyes:
As that part is now live I think we can let forum members see the link to the new searchable Newsletter Archive
 
  • Love
Reactions: Tim
We'd greatly value feedback on the search for archive, via replies here. At present it's somewhat basic search function. I'm thinking we want to add wildcard searches too but conscious of not making it too complex.

NB. The button for Login is present BUT IT WILL NOT WORK!!! Only the test email addresses have been setup it's a bigger challenge to get the 117,000 odd users email addresses moved over and kept in sync. Once that piece of work is done you will be able to login and we will invite forum users to test the system (note it won't have the my ancestors or my cousins pages populated just yet that's an even bigger challenge getting the millions of census entry records copied across.
 
Back
Top