• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Key for reply icons anywhere?

I will almost certainly upgrade to a later version of Lumia when Windows 10 is pushed out onto mobile phones in the UK
I'm afraid you won't, Bob. There was a very bitter article in the paper yesterday to the effect that Microsoft has dumped Lumia. It is not to be in their range in the future. One more nail in poor Nokia's coffin. (Remember Nokia was Finland's flagship until hubris caused its downfall.)
 
I'm afraid you won't, Bob. There was a very bitter article in the paper yesterday to the effect that Microsoft has dumped Lumia. It is not to be in their range in the future. One more nail in poor Nokia's coffin. (Remember Nokia was Finland's flagship until hubris caused its downfall.)
That is certainly news to me Gillian and yes I did know that Nokia was Finland's flagship mobile phone manufacturer and arguably world leader not that long ago. In due time Samsung vied for top place, with Motorola, Sony Ericsson, HTC (and others) bringing up the rear. It was my understanding that Microsoft acquired Nokia to allow them entry into the Mobile (aka Cell) phone market and chose 'Lumia' (formerly Nokia's own) as its own brand name and substituted Microsoft Lumia (aka Windows Phone) for Nokia.

So you say Microsoft are dropping 'Lumia' as a range name even though at this time aggressively promoting a variety of different Lumia number-identified phones: 435, 535, 640 right up to 950+. Given that the name Lumia is still synonymous with Nokia, and a strong selling point, I find this quite strange; not that I doubt your news for one moment. Thinking about it perhaps they are seeking a new range name to go hand in hand with the mobile version of Windows 10 despite telling existing users (and those buying Microsoft Lumia phones) it will be available later this year for upload.

I shall keep my ear to the ground and await to see if it appears in some of my Geek news letters. Meanwhile thank you for the information and can well understand the upset it might cause in Finland where Nokia is a national treasure.
 
Gillian, I Googled about Microsoft dropping the Lumia name and all I can come up with -and perhaps this is what you meant - that they chose to drop the brand Nokia Lumia and instead go forward as Microsoft Lumia, which is as I thought and said in my previous posting. They intend to continue to produce some Nokia branded phones but possibly not under the Lumia range name (it didn't make itself clear on this point). So far, at least, I can find no mention of Microsoft dropping the prestigious 'Lumia' range name but time will tell.
 
Gillian, I Googled about Microsoft dropping the Lumia name and all I can come up with -and perhaps this is what you meant - that they chose to drop the brand Nokia Lumia and instead go forward as Microsoft Lumia, which is as I thought and said in my previous posting. They intend to continue to produce some Nokia branded phones but possibly not under the Lumia range name (it didn't make itself clear on this point). So far, at least, I can find no mention of Microsoft dropping the prestigious 'Lumia' range name but time will tell.
Hang on in there, Bob. I have to go and look for yesterday's, or perhaps the day before's, paper. I'll get back to you. You have no idea how much losing Nokia rocked the Finnish economy. Truly.
 
Well, of course I can't find the article. It must have been in Wednesday's paper, which has gone in the paper collection. But you're probably right - I expect I read the article too quickly and jumped to conclusions. Anyhow, it hurts enough that Microsoft has dropped the Nokia name.
 
it hurts enough that Microsoft has dropped the Nokia name.
have no idea how much losing Nokia rocked the Finnish economy. Truly
You are right I doubt anyone outside of Finland can understand the way Finns feel about the Microsoft acquisition of part of the great Nokia company. Perhaps of some comfort is the knowledge that some 25,000 Nokia employees will continue in employment under the Microsoft label assuming there is no corresponding bad news for other Nokia employees.

I attempted to post a link about the news of the Nokia acquisition but if failed so will return and show the link later.
 
Thanks a lot, Bob. A lot of former Nokia employees have indeed found work elsewhere. However, another big blow fell in July when Microsoft, contrary to earlier assurances, closed down its main unit - Production Development - in the small town of Salo. This was a disaster and caused unemployment to leap to 20% there. Of interest, though no consolation, is that the CEO who was behind the take-over by Microsoft, a honey-tongued Canadian called Stephen Elop, has since been given the boot by Microsoft.
 
is that the CEO who was behind the take-over by Microsoft, a honey-tongued Canadian called Stephen Elop, has since been given the boot by Microsoft.
I had heard of Microsoft restructuring its leadership team, but as I don't follow such news all that intently, was not aware of what any of them did, either moving upwards or leaving. Now I know about Stephen Elop all I can say is what goes around, comes around;)
 
With a mouse or trackpad you can "mouse over" icons to see what they do, and if it's a PC you've got two mouse buttons (so there are at least three ways of interacting with an icon).
That's a good point and most likely explains the 'mouse over' action missing from some touch screen devices. However I am sure I have witnessed others with Android/Fire OS Tablets & Smart Phones - including those using iOS (iPad/iPhone) - hover over an icon and see a pop-up subliminal message explaining what the icon does? I may be wrong about this so can anyone who regular use such devices comment on this point?
 
Back
Top