• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Kent Photo Archive

Gillian

LostCousins Star
In the website's own words: "This extensive photo archive currently contains 20362 historic images of Kent with many dating back to the late 1800s." Some are accompanied by a more recent photo for comparison. Well worth a browse if you're interested in Kent.
 
I only looked at Cobham and that took long enough. However, there were an awful lot of near duplicates so you can probably skip through any places of interest quite fast.
 
I looked at quite a few places and yes, I found lots of very similar images, and there were more of churches than anywhere else - some places all the images were of the church.
 
Hmm. I wonder if it might be worth contacting the people who run it. Right now I'm in contact with one of them as they said they'd add my two old photos (1880s) of the Parsonage at Cobham but they're not there yet. I'll mention something about similar photos to my contact and see what he says. Of course the website relies on what's sent to them, so if they're only sent churches, then churches it will be.
 
Well done Gillian, I spent quite a while checking over the places in Kent where from my 40's onwards I worked and lived (and still do) and was enraptured with the content, even if not for truly genealogical purpose. I can however agree that the number of (mostly) church photo duplications bordered on the silly. The site is great however and perhaps just needs a little judicious prune.
 
Back
Top