• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Kelvedon Hatch

Kate

LostCousins Member
I am told my aunt was selected to go to Kelvedon in the event of nuclear war. At the time, she was in her mid thirties, a civil servant with no dependents. I wondered if anyone knew the criteria for selection and whether these were possibly factors. She did well in her career and was very organised.
Did people get a choice, I wonder, also were people to go there if an attack was imminent because it would be difficult afterwards.
There is information online but I haven't found the answers to my questions. Thank you.
 
A key aim would have been to keep the machinery of government functioning in the event of an attack - so civil servants would have been an key. If you haven't already done so, check the National Archives website, starting with the Research Guides. If the information has been made public, it will be held at TNA.
 
Back
Top