CarolB08
LostCousins Member
Thats spooky Rhian because I had an email today to say that mine was just started to be tested. We will see how long that will takeMy kit has now arrived for testing, only about a week longer than CarolB08.
Thats spooky Rhian because I had an email today to say that mine was just started to be tested. We will see how long that will takeMy kit has now arrived for testing, only about a week longer than CarolB08.
That really only applies to members who have entered a relatively small number of relatives. The higher your Match Potential the more accurate it is likely to be.More names always spell more success... but sometimes only if your cousins have the same idea.
Rhian, I was wondering if you or your partner read German? I am trying to fill out as much as I can on my Dads tree and I do not have any idea which of the towns written on his DP papers and his entry to the UK papers are his home town. But as I do not read German its a bit trickyI have been working with a DNA cousin for 15 months trying to find a link, so far we have at least 2 cuckolded fathers and 2 illegitimate births and despite having about 20 family names in common in the same area at the same time the best link I have found is a 2nd cousin of mine married a 2nd cousin of his. An adopoted mother might be easier to connect.
As I can almost see Poland from my house if you need anything researched there let me know, I might be able to help. As my partners family is from East Prussia there may even be a link there.
GEDCOMs at GEDmatch have always been pretty useless - I've never found anything useful in one. I've removed mine.Gedmatch seems to have broken itself trying to comply with GDPR laws, several thousand matches but gedcom checks seem to be a problem.
You say the search results show nothing. Do you mean that you don't get any search results? If you do get search results then everything's working fine.Still cannot get further with Peters masterclass as search results show nothing. I though I had read that I should be able to see the names in trees of DNA matches, but I cannot see anything other than a subscribe page.
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. I've just logged into the account I use for my mother-in-law's DNA results - like you she doesn't have an Ancestry subscription. If I search for one of the surnames in her tree I get 113 results, if I search for another surname I get 103 results.I do not get any search results, just 'no results found.' This applies with any search name, including ones I know exist as I am in contact with the tree owner.
No, you can't see the names, but it doesn't make testing a waste of money - you're in the same position as if your cousin had a private tree, ie you have to correspond with them. Is that so bad?I seem to recall someone saying that you could see a list of names for public trees if they were a DNA match, otherwise it just makes testing a useless waste of money.
It's impossible that not one of your thousands of DNA cousins has a tree. but in any case you can see who has a tree and who doesn't, and how many people there are in their tree.I do get swamped with 'hints' that are pointless, either obviously the wrong person or I have already got the fact and source, I still get 'no results found' searching for any name which seems to imply nobody has a public tree, or indeed any tree, which causes to masterclass to fail at the first step.
If you haven't identified any common surnames or common birthplaces in their tree it's certainly far less likely that they'll respond.Corresponding with potential cousins is no problem, provided they answer, and that is the big problem. Maybe not knowing a common name makes them reluctant to reply but from experience of sending 10 to 20 requests to potential cousins every week I get maybe one reply a week, sometimes one a month. Each mail I send does include copies of some of my research around potential matches with links to sources so it is not just a vague 'are we related?' mail
Finally after months of agonising and changing my mind, thanks to Peters latest newsletter and the Royal Wedding I have ordered a DNA test kit from Ancestry![]()
The Surname search works fine for me when I'm using Opera. But when I used Chrome just now the message "Feature unavailable" was displayed - so, of course, nothing happened. You don't mention the "Feature unavailable" message, but I suspect it's there somewhere.Just after my last post my satellite internet got hit by a meteor so I could not reply to anything.
When searching for matches I have tried using the name of one of the matches given, just the surname and no place, I got no hits at all, I have tried dozens of potential surnames, and even Smith, with no results. Today I tried again and there is even less life, there is no search carried out and no message of nothing found, I just stay looking at the search form.
I don't send information like that until I've had a response - it's not necessary and, as you've found, it often leads to disappointment.When I contact potential cousins, found other ways than Ancestry, they get fully sourced mini trees of the possible relationship paths, not only names and places but other sourced facts and 95% do not bother to reply, even after years, though I do occasionally see people posting the data online as if it was their research.
Well last Friday my Brother's results came in, I was very interested to see how our ethnicity results differ but are also so similar;
I am 59% Europe East he is 69%
I am 19% Ireland Scotland and Wales he is 11%
I am 10% Europe West he is 22%
I am 6% Scandinavian he is 1%
We share 2,800 cms across 71 dna segments and have made contact with a possible second cousin who has to be on my Mum's side and a more distant cousin who has to be on my Dad's side.