• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Ummm ... I have had to un-make some matches :oops:

It turned out that I'd got someone married to the wrong person - so some un-picking has had to be done.

On the bright side - if I hadn't put them on LC and matched I may never have realised I'd made a bloop !
Hi MaryK, but isn't that what this addiction is all about? how boring if we were correct all the time, I enjoy the challenge, prove me wrong I say and sometimes someone will. o_O
 
Tim, I have already heard from one contact. A bit disappointing, I'm afraid, as she is related by marriage to the person who is very distantly related to me and he is only a "twig" on her tree. It was nice to hear from her, though.

Whenever you get a new match and go to your My Cousins page the next thing you should do is check the My Contact page for that relationship. This displays all of the relatives that both of you have entered, and shows how they are related to each of you.

With this information in front of you it's easy to see whether the person you've found is a cousin, or someone who's only related by marriage. To make it even easier I've added a Match Score at the bottom of the My Contact page.

If you know from the outset whether the other member shares your ancestors or is only related by marriage you're less likely to be disappointed later on.
 
Whenever you get a new match and go to your My Cousins page the next thing you should do is check the My Contact page for that relationship. This displays all of the relatives that both of you have entered, and shows how they are related to each of you.

To get to the My Contact page, click on the persons name to the left of the country flag.
 
I'm now at 717 entries and am beginning to feel like my family was dropped here from another planet :) I did get one match (the step-son of a 2nd great aunt who did not reply) but still waiting for my first blood match. It's nice to read the encouraging posts, so I'll keep going.

Don't give up Doreen. I have been a member since Dec 2004 and have 345 entries. It took until Dec 2010 for me to have a contact who was not someone I had referred to LC. However it was worth the wait as it was a very very good contact with lots of ongoing emails, photos, certs etc. I also have 2 contacts who have not replied despite several attempts. But--never, ever give up!!!!!!
 
I've made a match! :)

It's a relation by marriage only, but we've agreed to help each other to expand that branch further.

Can't tell whether he's on the forum or not.
 
Great idea - after all, the living descendants of the marriage are cousins to both of you.

Yes, that would normally be true, but it looks like our relations only had an adopted daughter. Still things might change when the next census comes out :)
 
Yes, that would normally be true, but it looks like our relations only had an adopted daughter. Still things might change when the next census comes out :)
Sometimes the excitement turns - who would have thought an adoption - commiserations Tim, it happened to me so although a good match and a contact there are no more blood Lost Cousins but at least a family to share
 
Hi All,

Heartened by the postings that people have made about making matches, I thought I'd start a discussion where we can post when we make a match. A place where we show our success.

I found a match and I only entered about 30 names!

How have you been doing?
Heaps of entries but the only matches have been with ''known'' rellies so far. Still waiting after more than a year for another match. Why do people bother if they aren't going to reply?
 
Heaps of entries but the only matches have been with ''known'' rellies so far. Still waiting after more than a year for another match. Why do people bother if they aren't going to reply?

I know what you mean, I also have one that hasn't replied :(

Have you asked Peter (via the LC website) to try and contact them?

I just assume that maybe they've changed their email address or maybe they are sadly no longer with us.
 
I know what you mean, I also have one that hasn't replied :(

Have you asked Peter (via the LC website) to try and contact them?

I just assume that maybe they've changed their email address or maybe they are sadly no longer with us.
Yes, Peter tried, but without success, so have written them off.
 
Yes, Peter tried, but without success, so have written them off.

For me its another reason why everybody should add all their relatives as quickly as possible, and we should all encourage our fellow genealogists/friends to add theirs as quickly as possible.
 
I had a match after putting in about 50-60 names (I now have about 200 in, and still putting more in), but due to not yet being a subscriber I had to wait until they contacted me.
But, thanks to Peter's very generous offer recently of being able to contact your matches even if you weren't a subscriber, I took the opportunity and made contact with them.
They got back to me and it looks like we are 4th cousins once removed!
I know I'm slow in putting them in, but at least I'm entering them, right?
 
I have 1,992 in my tree on Lost Cousins and made 7 links - 2 relatives and 1 by marriage. The 4 other people I have contacted haven't replied and it's been well over 6 months now.

Am I downhearted - NO, disappointed - YES (we could be sharing information and memories), but I will continue to add census information as you never know who might be out there.

But a plea to Lost Cousin members - if you get a contact please reply, even if to say 'no thanks'.

Off to add more names to my husbands tree.
Val
 
Aren't I glad that I added some more names to my husbands tree on Saturday. I have 2 new contacts, and they both replied. One is a 'proper' cousin through our 4th GGP's and she has lots of information I didn't know, and hopefully I can share some things about my tree that she doesn't know.

So t0 everyone who is downhearted because you don't have any matches yet- don't be, you just never know when that census you enter is going to match someone.

From one very excited family historian.
Val
 
Back
Top