I can understand that, and it was a bit like that for me when I started adding my relatives to Lost Cousins. However, having entered all my close family and moved on to more distant twigs, most of the new contacts I find now are ones I haven't previously been in touch with elsewhere. So don't give up hope!I’ve added 100s but the only matches I’ve had have been cousins I already know or have had previous contact with elsewhere, so disappointing for me.
I have entered 1568 relatives into Lost Cousins over the last 10+ years, checked FMP links etc & have a match potential of 9.0464. However, I have just 5 contacts, 3 of whom are cousins (1 already known), 1 distantly related by marriage & 1 not related. So STILL hoping!
Well done, though I notice that the person you've been matched with entered that relative in 2007 - so in theory you could have made the match when you joined 9 years ago!I've got my first ever matchafter 9 years
It's not necessarily their fault - they may not have received an email from Ancestry. Hotmail addresses are a particular problem (which is why I no longer allow new members to join with a Hotmail primary address), but all email providers are capable of losing emails that they don't like the look of.People researching the same names on many other sites just don't bother to reply
Well done, though I notice that the person you've been matched with entered that relative in 2007 - so in theory you could have made the match when you joined 9 years ago!
That's why we try to connect with 'lost cousins'.I am also very short of relatives who either can, or if they can, are willing to share knowledge.
Meeting up is the last thing on my mind when I find a new cousin who's a family historian - I'm much more interested in collaborating on the research of the ancestral lines that we share.I'm not too enthused about meeting up with third cousins, after all I don't know him, and apart from some shared DNA I doubt we have much in common.
You have to remember that when you find a match it's because you've been working on that part of your tree recently; the chances are that your cousin entered the relatives you share 5 or 10 years ago, and they're working on a completely different part of their tree (if, indeed, they're able to work on their tree at all - life events often get in the way). If you want to build a good working relationship you need to be able see things from the other person's point of view.I wonder if sometimes the people who've been researching their family history for a long time get a bit jaded about responding.
Shouldn't you be collaborating on breaking down that 'brick wall' using DNA? Documented cousins are so much more valuable than they were before DNA came along.My first two contacts were extremely helpful in the early days but after that first flurry I think we're all stuck at the same brick wall which is due to the loss or illegibility of records in those particular parishes.
Meeting up is the last thing on my mind when I find a new cousin who's a family historian - I'm much more interested in collaborating on the research of the ancestral lines that we share.
In the case of a 3rd cousin that's a massive one-eighth of my tree - which means that on average my cousin will share one-eighth of my 'brick walls'. Even a 5th cousin is likely to share around 1 in 15 of my 'brick walls' (that's a higher proportion than the arithmetical average because I haven't identified all of my 4G grandparents).
Shouldn't you be collaborating on breaking down that 'brick wall' using DNA? Documented cousins are so much more valuable than they were before DNA came along.
I don't what public tree you're referring to but remember that if it's an Ancestry tree only subscribers can view it (unless you send an invitation via Ancestry). The vast majority of researchers don't have a current Ancestry subscription.I've got further back on our shared 2xGGP than he has, and they are in my public tree so he can access my research if he wants to. What I do lack detail on are the side branches involving a couple of our GGF's siblings and their descendants.
Going back more than 3 or 4 generations isn't beyond the reach of DNA. The example in my latest newsletter involves 5 generations (4th cousins). Even after 7 generations (6th cousins) there is an 11% chance of a match between two specific cousins, but usually you're not looking for a match with a specific cousin. Also, if there are two of you collaborating that roughly doubles the number of matches you'll find.Unfortunately I don't have many matches from this branch, and going back more than 3 or 4 generations is often beyond the limits of DNA. Unless I can get my sisters or first cousins to test. I seem to have inherited more than my fair share of paternal/paternal and maternal/maternal DNA, so its bound to be lacking shared matches on the other lines. Sisters or first cousins might have different chunks that match people I don't.
Does anyone now have the ability to issue these match reminders on Peter's behalf? I have a couple of matches which have not responded to my contact request.That's why I follow-up personally where no reply is received. Ancestry and other sites don't provide that service, but at LostCousins you get what you don't pay for.