AndyMick
LostCousins Star
In sorting out my data for checking who was on My LostCousins Ancestors (by using a similar technique to Alexander's FTAnalyzer programme - see this thread) I noticed that I hadn't got a marriage for 2 of my great great grandparents, James Clapham and Ellen Blackburn, who lived in Cleckheaton near Bradford in Yorkshire. I last looked at them a few years ago. So I had another look.
In the intervening years, I've been doing my One Name Study on Mickle(th)wait(e)s. It has become obvious from this study that spelling is not our ancestors' strong point - I've had some wonderful transcriptions (how do they get Makeltherde?!!) So I looked again, but looked at marriages where the spelling didn't match. I found one on FreeBMD for Ellen Blackburn and James Clayton, married in Bradford in 1848. Could it be the correct one? I checked FindMyPast - they also had it down as Clayton.
I then tried Ancestry's West Riding records - this showed that the fathers' forenames were correct, at which point I got a bit excited. I'm now waiting for the next trip to the library to get the image off Ancestry, but I'm fairly happy this is the missing marriage, given the right forenames and that there's no James Clayton with wife Ellen on the 1851 census in Bradford.
Persistence pays!
In the intervening years, I've been doing my One Name Study on Mickle(th)wait(e)s. It has become obvious from this study that spelling is not our ancestors' strong point - I've had some wonderful transcriptions (how do they get Makeltherde?!!) So I looked again, but looked at marriages where the spelling didn't match. I found one on FreeBMD for Ellen Blackburn and James Clayton, married in Bradford in 1848. Could it be the correct one? I checked FindMyPast - they also had it down as Clayton.
I then tried Ancestry's West Riding records - this showed that the fathers' forenames were correct, at which point I got a bit excited. I'm now waiting for the next trip to the library to get the image off Ancestry, but I'm fairly happy this is the missing marriage, given the right forenames and that there's no James Clayton with wife Ellen on the 1851 census in Bradford.
Persistence pays!
