Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I received via my Ireland XO membership a most interesting article entitled as above.
You can find it here - and I think many will find it of interest for those, like myself, struggling to understanding why things just do not add up when researching our Irish Ancestors. It's purpose to overcome the loss of Ireland's early census records, and concentrate on church records as 19th century census substitutes. Its purpose is fully explained and while mainly concerning Catholic traditions, is also covers Anglican (Church of Ireland) traditions as well.
Its main sub-headings are as follows:
Irish Naming Practice for Boys
Irish Naming Practice for Girls
Reliability and Exceptions to the Rule
Middle First Names
Middle and Double-barreled Surnames
Infant Deaths
Stillborn and unbaptised infants
Using the patterns to solve gap-ridden baptism records - Before and after the Great Irish Famine
Irish Baptism Traditions and Customs
The 'Italian' in the family
The Stipend (fee, if any, paid to the Priest)
Sponsor/Godparents
As I am already a member of Ireland XO -and have been for some years - it may require you to register to view but as it asks me to share it with others - via Facebook, Twitter, Google or Email, I doubt that will be necessary.
You can find it here - and I think many will find it of interest for those, like myself, struggling to understanding why things just do not add up when researching our Irish Ancestors. It's purpose to overcome the loss of Ireland's early census records, and concentrate on church records as 19th century census substitutes. Its purpose is fully explained and while mainly concerning Catholic traditions, is also covers Anglican (Church of Ireland) traditions as well.
Its main sub-headings are as follows:
Irish Naming Practice for Boys
Irish Naming Practice for Girls
Reliability and Exceptions to the Rule
Middle First Names
Middle and Double-barreled Surnames
Infant Deaths
Stillborn and unbaptised infants
Using the patterns to solve gap-ridden baptism records - Before and after the Great Irish Famine
Irish Baptism Traditions and Customs
The 'Italian' in the family
The Stipend (fee, if any, paid to the Priest)
Sponsor/Godparents
As I am already a member of Ireland XO -and have been for some years - it may require you to register to view but as it asks me to share it with others - via Facebook, Twitter, Google or Email, I doubt that will be necessary.