My DNA with Ancestry and 23andMe both show 1% Ashkenazi Jewishness, not much I know but by my reckoning I think an unknown 2 x g.grandmother was Jewish. The only branch of my family tree I cannot trace is one of my g.grandfather's. He never married g.gran although they lived together all the time, so no chance of a father's name to be found on a marriage cert. However, I have been matched through DNA to quite a few people with lots of Jewish DNA and, finally, I found one who was happy to share the names of his grandparents. I traced his g.grandparents on both sides of his family and he was delighted with the information. I now know where to start my search for g.grandfather's roots after over 15 years of trying to find him. He had a perfectly normal English name and my feeling is that he was illegitimate. We know he looked Jewish, as did his children, including my gran as did her children, including my dad and when my parents were getting married, a bystander asked my maternal gran if my mother was marrying into a Jewish family - quite a logical question as there was (and still is) a large Jewish population in the Manchester area. However, as far as I know my g.grandfather was born in London. Now I'm getting closer to finding him, I seem to have slowed down my search - I guess I'm worried that I'll do a lot of research and still not find his parents - or mother at least.