• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Infant Baptism after Death?

SWeaver

LostCousins Member
I have a 3xgreat aunt who appears to have been baptised after being buried! I have her baptism record in a Church of England church on the 20th September 1862 but the only burial I can find is for the 11th September 1862 in the same church. I have checked the BMD indexes and birth and death appear - but of course in the same quarter so that doesn't help. Her parents on the baptism are correct and that is confirmed by using the look-up in the GRO certificate ordering site and using her mother's maiden name. Searches in censuses after her birth show no suitable candidates....................... All the dates surrounding hers in the parish records give no indication that either one is wrong.
 
While it is not unheard of for clergy to bend the rules and baptise a very recently deceased infant, I can’t see anyone baptising someone already buried.

So either, as Margery says, the two events do not relate to the same child, or there is an error in one of the registers, though I see you have already checked for date errors.

Maybe you will need to get the certificates to solve this one.
 
Thank you both for your replies. Think maybe I do need to try and get copies of the certificates to attempt to solve this.
 
I have a 3xgreat aunt who appears to have been baptised after being buried! g.

I have come across the same record with different dates but relating to exactly the same event. In my case it was the Church Register and the Bishop's Transcript that did not agree. I took the Church Register entry to be the correct one but I suppose it could be either . Could you check to see if this is the case with your 3 x great aunt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top