• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Incorrect entries?

Taking one of the examples I mentioned above, the form was signed by the head of the household, but he almost certainly wasn't the person who filled out the form as the handwriting is very different. So the forename of the head of the household was spelt Abrham on the form (by someone else) and spelt Abraham in his signature.

So while it seems pretty likely with this particular example that Abraham was intended, nevertheless transcribing it as Abraham would seem to me to require a degree of interpretation that transcribers are not supposed to use.
In that case I would enter his name as Abraham, just as I would have done if he'd filled in the form as well as signing it. What a transcriber would do would depend on the protocol, but for this census the transcript is only an aid.
 
I am becoming frustrated with the checking of my entries mainly I think because I am getting lost in the Help and Advice and Read This First sections.
I simply cannot find or recall where the advice about schedule numbers for 1911 is.
I have an entry that I had spent about 10 minutes last April, trying to get it to match with FMP.
I have now found the guy in FMP but I am unable to see a schedule number because I am being asked to pay for the privilege.
The man in question is an Able Seaman Military Branch at Colchester. This is from Ancestry:
Registration District Number 47
Sub-registration district Gillingham
ED, institution, or vessel 36
Piece 3962

What am I supposed to use in LC?
 
I looked at Ancestry using those parameters and got a page with many names, which, if I understand correctly, means the schedule number should be 9999.
 
I am becoming frustrated with the checking of my entries mainly I think because I am getting lost in the Help and Advice and Read This First sections.
I simply cannot find or recall where the advice about schedule numbers for 1911 is.
I have an entry that I had spent about 10 minutes last April, trying to get it to match with FMP.
I have now found the guy in FMP but I am unable to see a schedule number because I am being asked to pay for the privilege.
The man in question is an Able Seaman Military Branch at Colchester. This is from Ancestry:
Registration District Number 47
Sub-registration district Gillingham
ED, institution, or vessel 36
Piece 3962

What am I supposed to use in LC?
Have you read this FAQ?
 
I looked at Ancestry using those parameters and got a page with many names, which, if I understand correctly, means the schedule number should be 9999.
At Ancestry you'll always get lots of search results when you search using the 1911 census references.
 
Have you read this FAQ?
Obviously not as I hadn't been able to remember where to look. That link didn't take me to the FAQs page but I found what you were referring to.

I've now entered 9999 in my person's record and FMP gives me 3,252 results. My person's last name begins with G, I've got as far as page 13 and still on letter B.
I feel as though I'm looking for the proverbial needle and have now given up and moved on to the next person.
 
I've now entered 9999 in my person's record and FMP gives me 3,252 results. My person's last name begins with G, I've got as far as page 13 and still on letter B.
I feel as though I'm looking for the proverbial needle and have now given up and moved on to the next person.
As a general rule, when you get too many results from a search, refine it.

In this case entering your relative's surname is probably the simplest solution - even if his surname was Smith you won't get more than a few pages of results. For example, if I click the arrow against my relative Charles Palfrey I get 4378 results, but if I add his surname to the search I get just one (or 62 if I enter the surname Smith).
 
In this case entering your relative's surname is probably the simplest solution
Ah, I see how it's done now. I didn't realise I could add things to the search at left after I have the results from using the arrow to check.
 
Ah, I see how it's done now. I didn't realise I could add things to the search at left after I have the results from using the arrow to check.
You can also delete things, so that if you don't get any results and suspect that the census references are wrong you can selectively delete them. It's just a normal search.
 
Back
Top