• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Immigration/Emigration facts in GenoPro

Alexander Bisset

Administrator
Staff member
Can any of the GenoPro users help out one of our forum members by explaining what steps are required to record an Emigration/Immigration fact please.

It was raised as an issue with FT Analyzer and I think a work around would be to record these facts but the user was unsure how, and I haven't used the program so wasn't able to assist.
 
Can any of the GenoPro users help out one of our forum members by explaining what steps are required to record an Emigration/Immigration fact please.

It was raised as an issue with FT Analyzer and I think a work around would be to record these facts but the user was unsure how, and I haven't used the program so wasn't able to assist.

Don't know about GenPro, but Immigration is a listed fact in RootsMagic6, would imagine it can be added as a fact just as you would for 'Lost Cousins'.
 
Yes I guess so I've seen some advertising blurb for GenoPro that suggests you can track things like immigration/emigration but I've not used the program so I'm reaching out to those that have for actual instructions.
 
There is an immigration field in the Genogram tab, but I'm not sure that it gets exported into the gedcom file.

I've also searched the help and forums. Nada
 
I am getting confused. Probably something to do with age but why is emigration/immigration so important to be recorded for genealogy? Residence details are recorded with country included in the address but not as a separate entity. Isn't that enough?

BTW, what's a Genogram tab? (now I've really lost it!)
 
BTW, what's a Genogram tab? (now I've really lost it!)

When you double click on a persons name and the properties box opens, the 1st tab is called Genogram, the 2nd is General etc.
 
I am getting confused. Probably something to do with age but why is emigration/immigration so important to be recorded for genealogy? Residence details are recorded with country included in the address but not as a separate entity. Isn't that enough?

You could just create a residence fact for each time you moved?
 
I am getting confused. Probably something to do with age but why is emigration/immigration so important to be recorded for genealogy? Residence details are recorded with country included in the address but not as a separate entity. Isn't that enough?

Bryman, it's not important. However for the issue you raised about ranged dates in and the way the timeline in FT Analyzer handles the ranged dates then you aren't going to get a result that matches what you expect. At present ALL facts in FT Analyzer Timeline maps are reduced to a single year (best fit year). It then works out what fact is closest to the year in the slider at the top of the window. If you have ranged dates then it takes the midpoint of the range as the single year. Crude yes but for most ranged dates it works.

What I realised due to your highlighting it is that some fact types should be expected to be ranges and not discreet events. eg: a birth event if you have a ranged date it means you don't know what date the event took place on and not that the event lasted for that length of time (poor long suffering mother if it did)!! Whereas a residence event ranged date can be taken to mean someone was at that address for those years.

So I'm looking at what type of events are "discreet" events ie: snapshots in time and which are "ranged" events ie: took place over a period of time. I'll then need to decide how to deal with that and write some new code to understand how to deal with it.

In the mean time the suggestion was as a work around if you added a discreet event of Emigration and a discreet event of Immigration then you are specifically marking a point in time thus putting down a marker that the event happened on that date or in that year. I trust this makes it clearer.
 
There is an immigration field in the Genogram tab, but I'm not sure that it gets exported into the gedcom file.

I've also searched the help and forums. Nada


Ok thanks for looking. As I mention to Bryman it's really not that important.
 
When you double click on a persons name and the properties box opens, the 1st tab is called Genogram, the 2nd is General etc.

Thanks Tim. I seem to have lost something, or not set it up correctly. All of my Properties boxes have General as the first tab, followed by Birth, Death, etc.
 
At present ALL facts in FT Analyzer Timeline maps are reduced to a single year (best fit year). It then works out what fact is closest to the year in the slider at the top of the window. If you have ranged dates then it takes the midpoint of the range as the single year. Crude yes but for most ranged dates it works.

What I realised due to your highlighting it is that some fact types should be expected to be ranges and not discreet events. eg: a birth event if you have a ranged date it means you don't know what date the event took place on and not that the event lasted for that length of time (poor long suffering mother if it did)!! Whereas a residence event ranged date can be taken to mean someone was at that address for those years.

So I'm looking at what type of events are "discreet" events ie: snapshots in time and which are "ranged" events ie: took place over a period of time. I'll then need to decide how to deal with that and write some new code to understand how to deal with it.

In the mean time the suggestion was as a work around if you added a discreet event of Emigration and a discreet event of Immigration then you are specifically marking a point in time thus putting down a marker that the event happened on that date or in that year. I trust this makes it clearer.

Ah, the penny drops and the brain fog disappears. Without knowing the way that FTA processes I could not understand why I was getting the result that I did. I will now try a few variations and see if I can improve things from a user's perspective.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I am sorry if this use of date ranges adds to your workload.
 
No not at all it's all good genuine feedback. As ever with these sorts of things the first pass at a solution sort of works and gives decent results then as people use it nuances crop up that suggest cleaner solutions. It is these suggestions and ideas borne of genuine usage, rather than my testing, that go a long way to helping improve the product so it is all to the benefit.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of adding new features and getting positive feedback from the user base. With feedback like this it becomes a virtuous circle, I produce something you give feedback, I improve it, you get more positive use out of the program I get more positive feedback.
 
You could just create a residence fact for each time you moved?

Thanks for the suggestion but that is what I had already tried. However, due to the way that FTA uses mid-point dates for all ranges and then Timeline display looks for nearest mid-point, causes the unexpected result. I am still experimenting.
 
Did you create your residence fact as a range?
You could try it as a single date?
 
Thanks Tim. I seem to have lost something, or not set it up correctly. All of my Properties boxes have General as the first tab, followed by Birth, Death, etc.
Ok, I'll have a look in the morning, I vaguely remember something.....
 
Thanks for the suggestion but that is what I had already tried. However, due to the way that FTA uses mid-point dates for all ranges and then Timeline display looks for nearest mid-point, causes the unexpected result. I am still experimenting.

However if you create a residence fact in 2009 for the residence in England. Then it will all suddenly miraculously work. As the best fact for 2002-2009 will be the residence in England.
 
Did you create your residence fact as a range?
You could try it as a single date?

Tim is right here. A single date or single year date will prevent it from choosing a mid-point year. It's a work around for just now until my beta testers and I work out how best to get it working with proper ranges. However if you wish to try it then it should work.
 
I get a lot of enjoyment out of adding new features and getting positive feedback from the user base. With feedback like this it becomes a virtuous circle, I produce something you give feedback, I improve it, you get more positive use out of the program I get more positive feedback.

I understand and have been in a similar position several times before I retired. However, I also realise just how easy it is to 'get carried away' with adding a few extra touches (that do not necessarily increase the anticipated revenue ;) ). Thank you.

I just wish that some commercial companies would take more interest in their products and customer wishes rather than their bottom line. Accountants have a lot to answer for.
 
Tim is right here. A single date or single year date will prevent it from choosing a mid-point year. It's a work around for just now until my beta testers and I work out how best to get it working with proper ranges. However if you wish to try it then it should work.

I had been thinking along the same lines. I added a single day residency at Los Angeles, in transit, but that made no difference. I also checked that it did appear in the Gedcom file and that it was geocoded by FTA. I will make a cup of coffee and ponder some more.
 
Back
Top