Val
LostCousins Star
I have a different problem. I am searching for my husbands Gt Grandfather. We know he was illegitimate.
Here is what I have done but wonder if my assumptions are correct - also if they are, should I add them into Lost Cousins to see if any of them match my 'potential' gt grandfathers'?
I have his birth certificate (born in London in 1880) which shows no father. My husband (Derek) has taken a DNA test with Ancestry and a Y-DNA test with FamilyTree DNA and his DNA has been uploaded to GEDmatch. None show any obvious links.
Ancestry has lots of DNA hits but none have more than 127cM (and I know that that person is linked to him on his mother's line).
I now live in the USA but my, and my husband's family, are all in the UK, although there looks as if there must be a Scottish branch in his family as his ethnicity estimate is 62% English, 31% Scottish, 7% elsewhere.
I do have a few of his relatives from Scotland and some direct ancestors from Berwick upon Tweed in his fairly extensive tree. His gt grandmother was born in Stanwix, Cumberland and was living in Stanwix in 1861 and Newcastle upon Tyne in 1871. By 1881 she was in London as a servant having giving birth to Derek's grandfather on the 27 Jun 1880 in Marylebone, London.
This is what I have done so far:
I have found 3 DNA hits who match each other as well as my husband using Ancestry's Shared Matches.
Match 1: LLW matches with 59cM
Match 2: MF matches with 55cM
Match 3: LVG matches with 35cM
After many hours of research I have linked all 3 matches together - to Emily Marriner and Robert Simpson Hardie. Match 1 and 2 come from their daughter, Jessie and Match 3 from Jessie's sister Emily.
So following Emily and Robert back down Emily's line I have 2 brothers of Emily who are my husband's potential Gt Grandfather and 3rd gt uncle's to Match 2 and 3 and 2nd gt uncle to Match 1.
These 2 boys and Emily were born in London in the late 1850's and early 1860's and in 1881 were living at the Waterloo Arms Beer House at 37 Commercial Road in Lambeth with their parents, and my husband's grandmother was a servant working at 19 Brunswick Square, Camberwell.
So do you think that my thinking is correct, and have I found the missing great grandfather - or am I clutching at straws! So far I haven't had any DNA matches to my husband from this 'potential line' which would at least support my theory.
I'm going to put the 1881 census into his Lost Cousins account in the hopes that it might bring up some results.
I watch 'Finding my Roots' here in the USA and Cece Moore makes it look so easy, but after about multiple weeks of research to build the tree and find the links I know it's not!!
Val
Here is what I have done but wonder if my assumptions are correct - also if they are, should I add them into Lost Cousins to see if any of them match my 'potential' gt grandfathers'?
I have his birth certificate (born in London in 1880) which shows no father. My husband (Derek) has taken a DNA test with Ancestry and a Y-DNA test with FamilyTree DNA and his DNA has been uploaded to GEDmatch. None show any obvious links.
Ancestry has lots of DNA hits but none have more than 127cM (and I know that that person is linked to him on his mother's line).
I now live in the USA but my, and my husband's family, are all in the UK, although there looks as if there must be a Scottish branch in his family as his ethnicity estimate is 62% English, 31% Scottish, 7% elsewhere.
I do have a few of his relatives from Scotland and some direct ancestors from Berwick upon Tweed in his fairly extensive tree. His gt grandmother was born in Stanwix, Cumberland and was living in Stanwix in 1861 and Newcastle upon Tyne in 1871. By 1881 she was in London as a servant having giving birth to Derek's grandfather on the 27 Jun 1880 in Marylebone, London.
This is what I have done so far:
I have found 3 DNA hits who match each other as well as my husband using Ancestry's Shared Matches.
Match 1: LLW matches with 59cM
Match 2: MF matches with 55cM
Match 3: LVG matches with 35cM
After many hours of research I have linked all 3 matches together - to Emily Marriner and Robert Simpson Hardie. Match 1 and 2 come from their daughter, Jessie and Match 3 from Jessie's sister Emily.
So following Emily and Robert back down Emily's line I have 2 brothers of Emily who are my husband's potential Gt Grandfather and 3rd gt uncle's to Match 2 and 3 and 2nd gt uncle to Match 1.
These 2 boys and Emily were born in London in the late 1850's and early 1860's and in 1881 were living at the Waterloo Arms Beer House at 37 Commercial Road in Lambeth with their parents, and my husband's grandmother was a servant working at 19 Brunswick Square, Camberwell.
So do you think that my thinking is correct, and have I found the missing great grandfather - or am I clutching at straws! So far I haven't had any DNA matches to my husband from this 'potential line' which would at least support my theory.
I'm going to put the 1881 census into his Lost Cousins account in the hopes that it might bring up some results.
I watch 'Finding my Roots' here in the USA and Cece Moore makes it look so easy, but after about multiple weeks of research to build the tree and find the links I know it's not!!
Val