• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 22 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 874 New Entries have been added and
  • 36 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. Everything up this week, which is always encouraging. Let's have a good run up to Christmas.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-11-18_9-48-29.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 18 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 1,725 New Entries have been added and
  • 197 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives matched up this week, which gave us a New Entries to Relatives matched of 8.76, on average every 9th person added produced a match.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-11-25_10-23-0.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 17 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 661 New Entries have been added and
  • 44 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week, making it a very quiet week. But on the bright side, just over 3 weeks to Christmas.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-12-2_9-53-8.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 23 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 2,341 New Entries have been added and
  • 134 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week, which is always good news. And Peter's End of Year Competition has started! See details in his latest Newsletter and update your preferences on My Prizes tab.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-12-9_12-0-38.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 14 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 3,731 New Entries have been added and
  • 171 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers except New Members are up this week, which is always good news. And Peter's End of Year Competition has started! See details in his latest Newsletter and update your preferences on My Prizes tab.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-12-16_9-33-40.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 26 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 8,076 New Entries have been added and
  • 470 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week, which is always good news. And Peter's End of Year Competition continues to run! Make sure you update your preferences on My Prizes tab.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone! And Merry Christmas.

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-12-23_9-57-40.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 21 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 8,130 New Entries have been added and
  • 529 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week apart from New Members, but at 21 that's still a great number. And Peter's End of Year Competition continues to run! Make sure you update your preferences on My Prizes tab as new prizes are getting added.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone! And a very Happy New Year.

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2022-12-30_9-59-48.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 13 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 5,859 New Entries have been added and
  • 282 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week but they're still a great set of numbers. And Peter's End of Year Competition continues to run! Make sure you update your preferences on My Prizes tab as new prizes are getting added.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2023-1-6_9-54-29.png
 
Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
  • 23 New Members joined the LostCousins site
  • 5,088 New Entries have been added and
  • -142 Relatives have been matched.
Always good to see New Members joining. New members up this week, New Entries are slightly down but still very good but unfortunately looks like we've lost another member. And Peter's End of Year Competition continues to run! Make sure you update your preferences on My Prizes tab as new prizes are getting added.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
upload_2023-1-13_9-54-36.png
 
Two members, I'm afraid - husband and wife. Circumstances caused a change of priorities.
That's a pity.
I have been devoting some time to my Lost Cousins using a mix of FTA and manual entries. I have managed to get my Ancestors into an Excel spreadsheet so I could analyse in my own way.
I have 1,293 Ancestors and only 7 matches, only one of them is a blood relative and neither of us could add anything to the other's research. We are 6th cousins but contact fizzled out.
If my maths is correct my match result is 0.54%. my potential is 7.1499.
 
Two members, I'm afraid - husband and wife. Circumstances caused a change of priorities.
That's a pity.
I have been devoting some time to my Lost Cousins using a mix of FTA and manual entries. I have managed to get my Ancestors into an Excel spreadsheet so I could analyse in my own way.
I have 1,293 Ancestors and only 7 matches, only one of them is a blood relative and neither of us could add anything to the other's research. We are 6th cousins but contact fizzled out.
If my maths is correct my match result is 0.54%. my potential is 7.1499.
They had already made matches with their cousins, so whilst it's disappointing that they didn't leave their accounts open despite my encouragement, the effort they put in was not wasted.

According to my records you have made 10 matches, of whom 8 were people you didn't previously know - that's better than your Match Potential. It's unfortunate that so many of them are only related to you by marriage - it's the luck of the draw, I'm afraid.
 
According to my records you have made 10 matches, of whom 8 were people you didn't previously know - that's better than your Match Potential. It's unfortunate that so many of them are only related to you by marriage - it's the luck of the draw, I'm afraid.

If you are counting the person under the heading of 'Other Contacts' they don't count because it is somebody I contacted via Ancestry and although they are a third cousin the reason they are there is because I invited them to LC, I want to delete that person now but can't find a way to do so.

I have a 'new contact' who has been there since 2014 and never responded to me, I didn't count that one either, thus the discrepancy.
 
If you are counting the person under the heading of 'Other Contacts' they don't count because it is somebody I contacted via Ancestry and although they are a third cousin the reason they are there is because I invited them to LC, I want to delete that person now but can't find a way to do so.

I have a 'new contact' who has been there since 2014 and never responded to me, I didn't count that one either, thus the discrepancy.
No, I wasn't counting either of those people. But why you would want to remove a connection to a 3rd cousin?

With regard to the 1 member out of 10 who hasn't replied, I'm not sure that you've ever asked me to chase them up.
 
No, I wasn't counting either of those people. But why you would want to remove a connection to a 3rd cousin?

With regard to the 1 member out of 10 who hasn't replied, I'm not sure that you've ever asked me to chase them up.
There isn't a connection in LC that I know of.
This third cousin has become a good friend, we are in constant touch via email. Also, we have collaborated with other Ancestry members who are researching our ancestors.

I didn't bother to contact you as the match is a person from a family line that is well documented and research had been easy for me.
 
There isn't a connection in LC that I know of.
This third cousin has become a good friend, we are in constant touch via email. Also, we have collaborated with other Ancestry members who are researching our ancestors.
So why would you NOT want to be connected with them through LostCousins? I don't understand the logic.
I didn't bother to contact you as the match is a person from a family line that is well documented and research had been easy for me.
You don't share a single family line with a cousin, you share multiple lines. For example, if someone is a 5th cousin they'll share 1/32 of your ancestral lines - hundreds of lines when you get back to the 1500s, which is the destination I aim for on all my lines. That's why connecting with cousins who are experienced researchers like ourselves can be so productive.
 
Back
Top