I think that LC has this about right but I was just trying to avoid the loss of potentially hundreds of hours of census searching from the benefit of those members remaining.
Sadly, we will all eventually get to the point where we can no longer maintain our account at LC. I was not suggesting anything to help those members but rather all other members. This particular discussion began when any new matches were cancelled out by the removal of one (?) member's census records. It is up to each member to decide what they would like to happen to their data but I was wondering if LC might offer an option which would allow those records to be retained within the LC database and possibly marked as unmaintained, or some such. If so, would there be some way of telling the member with a matched entry about other members who might be able to help with related families?
I have a non-member blood relative nominated on
My Details page but what would happen to my data if we 'deceased' at about the same time?
Perhaps Tim and Liberty, or any other members, might like to add their comments if they think that I am missing something or veering away from their intentions.
Members already have the option of leaving their account open, even after their death.
Where is this? I could not find this option explicitly.
If the records are retained then what happens when a match is found? The departed member may not be able to respond. Is that what has happened to all my non-responders?
After all, the information on the My Ancestors page is just a very small fraction of the whole, and it can easily be replicated if required.
It may be 'easy' to replicate most of the entries but it could also take a very long time.