Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
When I first started entering census references on to My Ancestors page, I concentrated on my direct ancestors, probably like most new members. Initially, those entries were from my father's side of the family as most had the same family name. Then I added more from my mother's side as I became more familiar with those other surnames.
That didn't get me very far and so I followed Peter's advice to add other blood relatives to include my (few) known cousins and their ancestors. Gradually my number of entries increased as I added family members that were previously unknown to me. However, I quickly realized that restricting research to just blood relatives was unlikely to match me with other members due to my extended family being such a small part of each census. In any case, each family includes one parent from another family unless cousins married. Therefore, I added census references for those who joined my family even if they were not my blood relatives.
Of course, many of those from other families also appeared in earlier censuses as part of their original birth families so other references were identified for my new family members. Not wishing to waste the effort expended in finding those references, I also added those to the My Ancestors page, together with the other members of those birth families.
eg. Suppose A marries B and they have a child C with all recorded in the 1841 census and C then marries D (my blood relative) and they are recorded in the 1881 census. I would add the appropriate census references to my records and then add C/D to My Ancestors page for 1881 and A/B/C for 1841, even though only D is known to be my blood relative.
I have little interest in spending all of my time entering everyone from the 1841/1881/1911 censuses on to My Ancestors page but it does make sense to me for all family members to be added even if not blood relatives.
Over the last few years, there have been several instances where matches have been made using those non-blood relatives and one/both of us LC members have benefited from an exchange of information. In one case, resultant information led to my discovering that several families that I had recorded as related by marriage were in fact my blood relatives and the LC member was my cousin!
I had assumed that all LC members had probably come to a similar conclusion as me and added references for all of their related family members. That was until Peter mentioned to me that he was surprised that I had more references on My Ancestors page for relatives by marriage than I had for blood relatives. That did not surprise me and I replied that I expected most LC members with more than a few hundred entries to be in a similar situation.
Hence this discussion topic to see if my expectations are correct or am I alone in recording this much detail? What do other members do, and why?
Although the primary objective of the LC site may be to identify living cousins, I believe that the recording and matching of census references can confirm research and help members fill in any gaps in their knowledge, not necessarily directly related to blood relatives only.
That didn't get me very far and so I followed Peter's advice to add other blood relatives to include my (few) known cousins and their ancestors. Gradually my number of entries increased as I added family members that were previously unknown to me. However, I quickly realized that restricting research to just blood relatives was unlikely to match me with other members due to my extended family being such a small part of each census. In any case, each family includes one parent from another family unless cousins married. Therefore, I added census references for those who joined my family even if they were not my blood relatives.
Of course, many of those from other families also appeared in earlier censuses as part of their original birth families so other references were identified for my new family members. Not wishing to waste the effort expended in finding those references, I also added those to the My Ancestors page, together with the other members of those birth families.
eg. Suppose A marries B and they have a child C with all recorded in the 1841 census and C then marries D (my blood relative) and they are recorded in the 1881 census. I would add the appropriate census references to my records and then add C/D to My Ancestors page for 1881 and A/B/C for 1841, even though only D is known to be my blood relative.
I have little interest in spending all of my time entering everyone from the 1841/1881/1911 censuses on to My Ancestors page but it does make sense to me for all family members to be added even if not blood relatives.
Over the last few years, there have been several instances where matches have been made using those non-blood relatives and one/both of us LC members have benefited from an exchange of information. In one case, resultant information led to my discovering that several families that I had recorded as related by marriage were in fact my blood relatives and the LC member was my cousin!
I had assumed that all LC members had probably come to a similar conclusion as me and added references for all of their related family members. That was until Peter mentioned to me that he was surprised that I had more references on My Ancestors page for relatives by marriage than I had for blood relatives. That did not surprise me and I replied that I expected most LC members with more than a few hundred entries to be in a similar situation.
Hence this discussion topic to see if my expectations are correct or am I alone in recording this much detail? What do other members do, and why?
Although the primary objective of the LC site may be to identify living cousins, I believe that the recording and matching of census references can confirm research and help members fill in any gaps in their knowledge, not necessarily directly related to blood relatives only.