As a new family historian (five years ago), I pushed all my direct ancestors back as far as I could, then started working on their siblings. I followed every 'hint' and collected data on relationships that now read like this: "husband of sister-in-law of half-sister of wife of grand-uncle" (as an example)! I just loved the chase and would go wherever it led me until I realised what a drain on my time it was!
Nowadays, as a more experienced researcher, I tend to record only the blood relative's spouse's parents and siblings. If I happen to find a relationship beyond that, I record it in my notes, rather than as an un-blood-related person on my tree itself.
I was very messy in my recording of data (digitally) in the early days so I've been tidying my files on FTM 2010 (before upgrading) and cross-referencing these with my entries on "Lost Cousins". I've deleted some of my LC entries -- I don't need to find living relatives of my blood-relatives' employers, for example. As I come across examples of tenuously connected non-blood relationships, I wonder whether I should record these relationships in notes then delete people (such as the "husband of sister-in-law of half-sister of wife of grand-uncle" mentioned earlier).
My hesitancy is this: many of my blood relatives lived in small, rural communities and inter-marriage between the same families was common. Until I finish with all the relatives in a particular community (probably never), I hang on to all the relationships I can find, no matter how tenuous.
I know that I have to make a judgement for myself on which relationships to keep and which to delete but I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.
Nowadays, as a more experienced researcher, I tend to record only the blood relative's spouse's parents and siblings. If I happen to find a relationship beyond that, I record it in my notes, rather than as an un-blood-related person on my tree itself.
I was very messy in my recording of data (digitally) in the early days so I've been tidying my files on FTM 2010 (before upgrading) and cross-referencing these with my entries on "Lost Cousins". I've deleted some of my LC entries -- I don't need to find living relatives of my blood-relatives' employers, for example. As I come across examples of tenuously connected non-blood relationships, I wonder whether I should record these relationships in notes then delete people (such as the "husband of sister-in-law of half-sister of wife of grand-uncle" mentioned earlier).
My hesitancy is this: many of my blood relatives lived in small, rural communities and inter-marriage between the same families was common. Until I finish with all the relatives in a particular community (probably never), I hang on to all the relationships I can find, no matter how tenuous.
I know that I have to make a judgement for myself on which relationships to keep and which to delete but I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.