A. Muse
LostCousins Member
I'm frustrated in my research of the Hamilton family in Islington, London, by the lack of birth registrations for John 1838, Eliza 1841 and Charles 1844, all appear in the appropriate census ('41,'51,61) along with older siblings James and Mary Ann born pre registration. I have found a baptism and burial in 1841 for Eliza*.
My frustration is that without the birth certs I cannot find the mother Mary Ann's maiden name. To compound the situation I can't find any marriage for her husband John (senior).
*Eliza's baptism seems to be outside of a parish as the heading of the register has been altered to 'All Saints District, Islington'. The first page in the register is also altered to 'All Saints District, Parish of the Holy Trinity St Mary Islington'. Phillimore shows Holy Trinity and St. Mary as two separate parishes. Eliza is buried in New Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, Islington, a non Conformist burial ground.
Am I dealing with a non-conformist family who decided registration was not for them?
Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.
My frustration is that without the birth certs I cannot find the mother Mary Ann's maiden name. To compound the situation I can't find any marriage for her husband John (senior).
*Eliza's baptism seems to be outside of a parish as the heading of the register has been altered to 'All Saints District, Islington'. The first page in the register is also altered to 'All Saints District, Parish of the Holy Trinity St Mary Islington'. Phillimore shows Holy Trinity and St. Mary as two separate parishes. Eliza is buried in New Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, Islington, a non Conformist burial ground.
Am I dealing with a non-conformist family who decided registration was not for them?
Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.