• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How long?

barbarajoh

LostCousins Member
I sent away my dad's DNA to Family Tree DNA in October. Going on the site it says results in 1-2 weeks but has said so for a few weeks now? Before I try and find a contact email, does it usually take a long time?

Barbara
 
I would allow 3 months from when you posted off the sample - typically everyone orders when there is a special offer on, so the normal turn-around time goes out the window. As long as they've receiveed the sample, which they clearly have, there should be nothing to worry about.
 
thanks Peter, that is reassuring. Yes I probably did it as a hint from your newsletter so would be a special offer!
 
It took 3 months as Peter predicted and my dad has no matches closer than 6 at 67 so it is a waiting game now. Hopefully it is getting more popular in the UK and we will get matches eventually. He is predicted R-M512 and the R1a group have asked him to test for F1493 so we are waiting for that now.

thanks for your interest
 
So was that a Y DNA test you did? Have you considered the other tests? The family finder?
 
He did a Y67 test. By total coincidence my own ancestry test has come back today ahead of schedule. I seemingly have lots of matches but it is not making a lot of sense. I have always resisted putting my tree on ancestry but I may have to put a private one on. My idea was to upload these results to familytreedna and some other site, the name of which escapes me. Exciting if a little confusing.
 
I use GEDmatch. It's free and very useful. There are a number of other sites that can help explain things as well.
 
That was the site I meant, Tim and have just done that. It is all a learning curve but slightly addictive. Which site do you think explains it well (and simply)?
 
My Ancestry DNA test kit arrived on 23rd March, and I posted the sample and activated the kit the same afternoon. Not yet having had an email saying the sample had arrived I decided to investigate. Eventually I found information in the Help section of Ancestry's website, which said it can take up to 5 weeks for a sample to be marked as having arrived. Has anyone had to wait that long?
 
Last edited:
Well we are in strange times Susan, due to Covid-19, so post will be affected. My understanding is that it first goes to Ireland, and then is batched up and then sent to the US for testing. If they ship once a month, it could therefore take 5 weeks.
 
Thanks, Tim. I had assumed a delay because of Covid-19 but hadn't understood about the batching. An explanation always helps!
 
I sent a test kit to my cousin on 27th March: he tested and sent it back to Ancestry a couple of days later, the results came in a couple of days ago. Hopefully Susan will have also had her results by now.
 
Alas, no - the sample I sent off is still apparently in transit, in other words has not been marked as received. Lost in the post? I'd better chase it up, although the 5 weeks since sending it off have still not elapsed.
 
I have just had an online chat with someone at Ancestry about the non-arrival of my test sample. They say to allow 20 working days for it to reach the lab - and of course we've had not just the virus but also Easter - so I've got to wait a bit longer before they'll send a replacement kit or whatever.
 
Back
Top