Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Reminiscing on surname spellings and in my case pronunciations reminds me of doing National Service in the RAF. I was based at a Command HQ and worked under a Group Captain, a senior RAF Doctor and a Scotsman. As one was addressed by surname I recall the first time we met he pronounced my surname 'Speers' instead of the family preferred pronunciation of 'Spires'. I automatically reminded that my surname should be pronounced Spires, and spelled SPIERS.
He smiled and as best I recall he said "Nae laddie - Spiers (he pronounced it Speers) is a good auld Scottish name spelled SPIERS and I wont have it corrupted by Sassenachs". I shall call you 'Speers' as indeed he did for the next two years. Everyone else, including other officers and NCO's pronounced my name as Spires.
I remember telling my Dad who thought I should have stood my ground. Perhaps I should but for a quite life -and there was a degree of humour in the whole thing - I just accepted the status quo.
Years later when I researched the family I learned it did indeed have Scottish roots and there was even a small Hamlet called Spierston (Spiers town). Pronounced Speerston of course.
(Quod in nomine?)
He smiled and as best I recall he said "Nae laddie - Spiers (he pronounced it Speers) is a good auld Scottish name spelled SPIERS and I wont have it corrupted by Sassenachs". I shall call you 'Speers' as indeed he did for the next two years. Everyone else, including other officers and NCO's pronounced my name as Spires.
I remember telling my Dad who thought I should have stood my ground. Perhaps I should but for a quite life -and there was a degree of humour in the whole thing - I just accepted the status quo.
Years later when I researched the family I learned it did indeed have Scottish roots and there was even a small Hamlet called Spierston (Spiers town). Pronounced Speerston of course.