Incidently, this discussion is very interesting but seems to have wandered away from the initial thread. Perhaps one of the moderators might like to consider copying/moving some of these posts to a new thread?
Done
Incidently, this discussion is very interesting but seems to have wandered away from the initial thread. Perhaps one of the moderators might like to consider copying/moving some of these posts to a new thread?
Can you imagine the amount of work to achieve this? And the chances of getting something wrong?
I have entered names into LC and their relationships to me, including the Direct Ancestors and Ahnentafel numbers.
So if I now took your approach and pretended I was one of my children, then yes I could add the wife's family. But I would have to recalculate all the existing Ahnentafel numbers. And then if they have children, do it all again?
And how would I answer the question if we made a match, How are we related? It's just too confusing and risky.
There is a simple solution provided by Peter, for an extra £2.50 you can register your spouses details. It keeps it clean and simple.
I wanted to include my wife's ancestors so I pretended I was one of my children and entered relationships and ahnentafel numbers accordingly.
I've carried on in the same way ever since, and it means that some of the "cousins" I've made contact with are actually my wife's cousins. None of them seems to have been bothered by this fact; we've just got on with the task of helping each other's research where and when we could.
There will only be one entry on your My Cousins page no matter how close the relative that you've been matched with. When you recommend LostCousins to a known relative always use your My Referrals page so that they don't have to re-enter the relatives that you share.One of the people that I have recommended LC to is my 1st cousin. I now realise that with such a close relationship (common grandparents), there will be an enormous number of matches identified which will tend to smother the reports. The same would be true if my son were to spend a lot of time and reenter his ancestor details. Peter has made provision for one's LC data to be passed on to a nominated relative but that may then need considerable rework by the recipient to meet their situation. I would like to suggest that a little thought be given to this now so that any development can be done before it becomes a big issue.
.... I wanted to include my wife's ancestors so I pretended I was one of my children and entered relationships and ahnentafel numbers accordingly.
I've carried on in the same way ever since, and it means that some of the "cousins" I've made contact with are actually my wife's cousins. None of them seems to have been bothered by this fact; we've just got on with the task of helping each other's research where and when we could.....
There will only be one entry on your My Cousins page no matter how close the relative that you've been matched with. When you recommend LostCousins to a known relative always use your My Referrals page so that they don't have to re-enter the relatives that you share.
There's no inherent problem having an account in the name of a son or daughter to enable you to include both your ancestors and those of your spouse - the LostCousins system will handle it fine.
However it can be confusing for you, since it won't be immediately obvious which of the entries on your My Cousins page are your relatives and which are relatives of your spouse, nor will it be obvious which relatives are whose on your My Ancestors page.
In the early stages, when you only got a handful of cousins listed, and only a few hundred relatives recorded, it may not be too much of a problem - but it's better to prepare for the future. If you are going to separate the two trees it's better to do it as soon as possible.
I don't have any obvious confusion about which of my parents relatives relate to so don't understand the point made in the second paragraph of the quote.
I think that all relatives of my father have different surnames to those of my mother.
Perhaps my insignificant number of relatives recorded from census data is not enough to worry about but I will keep that in mind if ever I should be so lucky to find a few thousand more.