DavidP
LostCousins Member
I have been in correspondence with the North Riding of Yorkshire County Records Office (NRYCRO) with the aim of obtaining copies of the house deeds for some houses that I believe my great grandfather Thomas Coverdale built and owned.
NRYCRO have advised that: "I'm afraid that searching the registry from 1871 through to August 1970 for a single address is not possible as the registry is only indexed by party (vendor only until 1879) and by township (until 1965)." This seems a bit odd as it seems to defeat the purpose of doing a search. Perhaps it is easier if you are there in person to trawl through the records, but it's not as easy when searching from a distance.
What I was after were the deeds to Nos 1 - 4 Railway Terrace, Sowerby, Thirsk as there is a family story that these were owned by Thomas. Nos 1 and 4 were definitely owned by my grandmother (his daughter) until her death in 1955.
Anyway, thanks to the NRYCRO, I have now obtained the deeds from when the land was originally subdivided in 1871 and these show that Francis Pattison, shoemaker, bought a large parcel of land once known as Bell House Field. He then parceled up the land and sold it as follows:
Plots 1 & 2 to John B Curtiss
Plot 3 to Charles Goodill
Plot 4 to Richard King
Plots 5 & 6 to Tomas Coverdale
No doubt there were other plots, but the records I have do not go that far.
Unfortunately none of the Memorials of sale include a copy of the plot layout, so I have no idea of the whereabouts of the land in relation to the new street, although logic would say that plot 1 would be No 1, plot 2 No 2 etc. Hah, another theory bites the dust!
The 1881 census has the following people living in Railway Terrace:
No 1 William Richardson
No 2 Richard King and family
No 3 Alfred Busfield and family
No 4 Thomas Coverdale and family
Through to 1911, the only families that are consistent residents are the Kings at No 2 and the Coverdales (or descendants) at No 4.
I spent a few hours this last weekend looking through old newspapers on Find My Past, hoping to see an advertisement for the original sale to no avail (but I did see a few articles concerning the state of the drains in Railway Terrace up until the turn of the century and a whole lot of other irrelevant but interesting stories.
)
Does anyone know of any other way of finding out who owned a property way back when? It's not a huge problem and not worth spending loads of money to sort out. It would just be nice to sort out yet another family story/myth.
NRYCRO have advised that: "I'm afraid that searching the registry from 1871 through to August 1970 for a single address is not possible as the registry is only indexed by party (vendor only until 1879) and by township (until 1965)." This seems a bit odd as it seems to defeat the purpose of doing a search. Perhaps it is easier if you are there in person to trawl through the records, but it's not as easy when searching from a distance.
What I was after were the deeds to Nos 1 - 4 Railway Terrace, Sowerby, Thirsk as there is a family story that these were owned by Thomas. Nos 1 and 4 were definitely owned by my grandmother (his daughter) until her death in 1955.
Anyway, thanks to the NRYCRO, I have now obtained the deeds from when the land was originally subdivided in 1871 and these show that Francis Pattison, shoemaker, bought a large parcel of land once known as Bell House Field. He then parceled up the land and sold it as follows:
Plots 1 & 2 to John B Curtiss
Plot 3 to Charles Goodill
Plot 4 to Richard King
Plots 5 & 6 to Tomas Coverdale
No doubt there were other plots, but the records I have do not go that far.
Unfortunately none of the Memorials of sale include a copy of the plot layout, so I have no idea of the whereabouts of the land in relation to the new street, although logic would say that plot 1 would be No 1, plot 2 No 2 etc. Hah, another theory bites the dust!
The 1881 census has the following people living in Railway Terrace:
No 1 William Richardson
No 2 Richard King and family
No 3 Alfred Busfield and family
No 4 Thomas Coverdale and family
Through to 1911, the only families that are consistent residents are the Kings at No 2 and the Coverdales (or descendants) at No 4.
I spent a few hours this last weekend looking through old newspapers on Find My Past, hoping to see an advertisement for the original sale to no avail (but I did see a few articles concerning the state of the drains in Railway Terrace up until the turn of the century and a whole lot of other irrelevant but interesting stories.
Does anyone know of any other way of finding out who owned a property way back when? It's not a huge problem and not worth spending loads of money to sort out. It would just be nice to sort out yet another family story/myth.