• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Help with reading this.

CarolB08

LostCousins Member
I received a death certificate for a child in my husbands line from Chelmsford, Essex today and I am struggling to read the cause of death, I have tried googling what I think it says to no avail, can anyone decipher it for me please???
The death occured in 1840 and it is something I have never heard of, it looks like Febus Biliorco or Biliovco but Google has no idea, I will be so grateful if someone can work it out for me.:confused:
 

Attachments

  • Cause of death.jpg
    Cause of death.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 17
The first word is 'febris' (fever). The second word could be a Latin version of the word 'bilious', but that's just a guess.
 
I too could not decipher the Latin, but the moment I read Peter's response - combining Fever with Bilious -that did ring a bell. I recall years ago coming across a 19th century death description, which from memory I think was written (or more like scrawled in Doctors handwriting) as Bilious Fever. I spent some time trying to find out what that meant and recall finding a Wikipedia article explaining it as a sort of 'catch all' diagnosis for many disorders causing vomiting, often referred to as a Bilious attack. I think that as a best guess that is most likely the interpretation in Carol's case.
 
Goodness me no wonder I could not work it out I never learnt latin in school !!!! Thank you all so much for your kind help, the child in question was just 3 years old so this illness would have been very debillitating indeed and he was the 3rd child his parents lost in three years. So sad.
 
Back
Top