Can anyone suggest how I might locate an orphaned child in the 1841 Census? My 2x gt grandmother, Jane Williams, lost her mother at birth in 1831 in Ullingswich. Her father Richard, died when she was 9, just before the 1841 Census. She married John Bruton in 1853, but her father's name on the marriage entry is George, not Richard. There was another Jane Williams b 1823 also in Ullingswick--father---yes--George Williams! That Jane b 1831, is the dau of Richard is confirmed by the 1871 Census, when she was stated to be 38 yrs old.
I think she must have been brought up by a George Williams, and knowing perhaps no other father, gave his name as her father's name, instead of Richard Williams. Whether this George was the same George as the father of Jane b 1823, I don't know. Also not known is whether Richard and George were related--seems likely.
There is no other John Bruton /Jane Williams marriage in the Indexes--either at GRO or at Hereford Registrars. Jane, age 19, is on the 1851 Census. I cannot locate her on the 1841--problem being lack of relationships / place of birth on that Census.
I can find no marriage or suitable death entry for the Jane Williams bapt 1823, which would eliminate her totally from this problem.
I wonder also, if perhaps there is an error here. Did the Incumbent make an error---on the 1853 marriage, there was also a witness named George Williams! Did the Vicar lose his notes--only remember George Williams, and enter that name also as brides father? Possible!
I think she must have been brought up by a George Williams, and knowing perhaps no other father, gave his name as her father's name, instead of Richard Williams. Whether this George was the same George as the father of Jane b 1823, I don't know. Also not known is whether Richard and George were related--seems likely.
There is no other John Bruton /Jane Williams marriage in the Indexes--either at GRO or at Hereford Registrars. Jane, age 19, is on the 1851 Census. I cannot locate her on the 1841--problem being lack of relationships / place of birth on that Census.
I can find no marriage or suitable death entry for the Jane Williams bapt 1823, which would eliminate her totally from this problem.
I wonder also, if perhaps there is an error here. Did the Incumbent make an error---on the 1853 marriage, there was also a witness named George Williams! Did the Vicar lose his notes--only remember George Williams, and enter that name also as brides father? Possible!