yumyum46
LostCousins Member
Hello
I've been offered the chance to travel to Oxford archives if I have any family I need to research there. I've only one - a mysterious 'wife' recorded on the 1881 census to my great grandfather George MILES.
They are recorded as living at 3 Parsons Yard, Walcot, Bath. He has a spouse Bessie MILES who records that she was born in Oxfordshire. The child living with them is a family orphan.
He is then married to Caroline TAYLOR on 24 Aug 1889 recorded on the marriage certificate as a Batchelor with no sign of a death for Bessie or what happened to her.
I've searched for a marriage over the years but not been able to find one and I have no idea what her maiden name would be. Any tips on how to go about this and if it would be worth taking the time to travel to Oxford when I have so little to work with?
Thanks in advance
Frances
I've been offered the chance to travel to Oxford archives if I have any family I need to research there. I've only one - a mysterious 'wife' recorded on the 1881 census to my great grandfather George MILES.
They are recorded as living at 3 Parsons Yard, Walcot, Bath. He has a spouse Bessie MILES who records that she was born in Oxfordshire. The child living with them is a family orphan.
He is then married to Caroline TAYLOR on 24 Aug 1889 recorded on the marriage certificate as a Batchelor with no sign of a death for Bessie or what happened to her.
I've searched for a marriage over the years but not been able to find one and I have no idea what her maiden name would be. Any tips on how to go about this and if it would be worth taking the time to travel to Oxford when I have so little to work with?
Thanks in advance
Frances