jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I've been searching for my 3x great grandfather, Henry Forbes, for a long time. I know a fair bit about him - he was a private in the 79th Cameron Highlanders, who served in Canada, Crimea and finally died in the Indian Mutiny Wars on 1 May 1858.
He and his wife Jane married in 1853 while he was stationed at Edinburgh Castle and his children were born in 1854 (Portsmouth) and 1857 (Cheriton) while he was stationed at various barracks in England and between his service with his Regiment.
However, I don't have any records of his birth or death - his death date is written into the margins of the Medal Roll for his Indian Mutiny Medal with Lucknow clasp (which we have in our archive).
He also appears on the 1851 Army Index in Quebec, Canada (his service number mistranscribed as 2314 - on all other documents it's 2214). He has died (and his wife remarried) by the 1861 census.
As I don't know his age at his death, and have no viable ideas about his age, I can't find him in the 1841 census. Admittedly, I have been looking in Scotland.
Today, a user put a comment on his entry on Ancestry, which mentioned a newspaper article which included a "Letter from Leeds soldier", addressed to one Frederick Forbes, and signed, his affectionate brother, Henry Forbes, 2nd company, 79th Regiment. (apparently Frederick was a brush man).
This afternoon I managed to find the article. The copy I have attached is from the Illustrated Berwick Journal from 6 Oct 1855, but it was present in several different papers around the same time - I have not found the original publishing within the Leeds Mercury.
Does this suggest that perhaps I should have been looking in England rather than Scotland for Henry?
A brief look at the medal rolls does not show any further Henry Forbes in the medal rolls, although I don't know if there is a different roll per company.
I had a quick look at the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Frederick in Leeds, but didn't have any luck.
So I put it to the venerable brains of the Forum... what do you think? Should I shift my search to Yorkshire and abandon Scotland?
He and his wife Jane married in 1853 while he was stationed at Edinburgh Castle and his children were born in 1854 (Portsmouth) and 1857 (Cheriton) while he was stationed at various barracks in England and between his service with his Regiment.
However, I don't have any records of his birth or death - his death date is written into the margins of the Medal Roll for his Indian Mutiny Medal with Lucknow clasp (which we have in our archive).
He also appears on the 1851 Army Index in Quebec, Canada (his service number mistranscribed as 2314 - on all other documents it's 2214). He has died (and his wife remarried) by the 1861 census.
As I don't know his age at his death, and have no viable ideas about his age, I can't find him in the 1841 census. Admittedly, I have been looking in Scotland.
Today, a user put a comment on his entry on Ancestry, which mentioned a newspaper article which included a "Letter from Leeds soldier", addressed to one Frederick Forbes, and signed, his affectionate brother, Henry Forbes, 2nd company, 79th Regiment. (apparently Frederick was a brush man).
This afternoon I managed to find the article. The copy I have attached is from the Illustrated Berwick Journal from 6 Oct 1855, but it was present in several different papers around the same time - I have not found the original publishing within the Leeds Mercury.
Does this suggest that perhaps I should have been looking in England rather than Scotland for Henry?
A brief look at the medal rolls does not show any further Henry Forbes in the medal rolls, although I don't know if there is a different roll per company.
I had a quick look at the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Frederick in Leeds, but didn't have any luck.
So I put it to the venerable brains of the Forum... what do you think? Should I shift my search to Yorkshire and abandon Scotland?