I have found a puzzle which is slightly linked to this topic so have added it here rather than start a new one.
A distant cousin of my wife married Annie Ball BURTON.
I could not find her birth on GRO so looked in FreeBMD which had fewer search limitations and found this record
Births Mar 1872
BURTON Annie Ball Nottingham 7b 293
I then went back to GRO and searched again using just the surname and reference to get this result ( Ball being listed as the mothers maiden name)
BURTON, FLORENCE ANNIE BALL
GRO Reference: 1872 M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 293
Searching again in FreeBMD there is no record for this Florence.
Searches on Ancestry, FMP and Family Search only locate the first record with no sign of a Florence.
No mothers maiden name is recorded in any of the found results. A marriage search for her parents confirms the name as Ball.
From a baptism record dated 10 Jan 1872 her date of birth is 25 Nov 1871
I would be interested in any possible explanation of this.