• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GRO Errors and Fees

HelenB

LostCousins Star
Hello, Just before Christmas I put in GRO order for several death certificates which are listed on their own online database. I used the function to select the record I wanted, choose digital, pdf or certificate, and then the GRO database automatically populates the order form with the GROs own data.

I was therefore very surprised this morning to receive partial refunds for two of these orders, stating that GRO could not find the record from the data that I supplied. But it is their data that they supplied! And they have had the cheek to deduct admin fee of £4 for their effort in trying to locate the record, which their pro-forma email says is due to my mistake.

Last year, GRO were not routinely charging the admin fee, so I think this is a policy change which is experiencing some initial errors. Has anyone else had this experience yet?

I have filed a complaint stating that I expect to receive a full refund.
 
Pleased to say the response was quick. I received an email this morning apologizing that they had sent me the wrong standard note, that the certificate is still with the local office and is not yet at GRO. They also confirmed that in this case a full refund is due to me and that the missing balance is being paid to me.
 
I recently downloaded a death certificate pdf and was stunned to see it was not the person I wanted even though the name was right a bit of research showed the the page number was wrong by one digit, so I let them know and got my £3 refunded pretty quickly.
 
Back
Top