• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GRO can't trace death registration

PaulC

LostCousins Member
About a week ago I ordered the following death entry from GRO:

HIGGINS, ROBERT 33
GRO Reference: 1919 S Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 08B Page 1

A digital image was unavailable, so I had to order a PDF. Today I got the following response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order as detailed below.

Death Certificate: ROBERT HIGGINS died in LIVERPOOL

We have been unable to process your application.

There is an inconsistency which occurred when the GRO index was compiled. We are therefore unable to trace an entry with the details supplied in your application.
A full refund of £8.00 has been credited to your account via Worldpay.

I've checked FreeBMD and the original index scans and they give the same reference.

Not sure where that leaves me. I could possibly request a manual search, but wouldn't they have already tried this?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I use GRO a lot but this is a first for me!
 
I haven't encountered this problem, but I suspect it is related to the errors and omissions that occurred when the registers - or rather the microfilm copies - were scanned in the early years of this century.

If you look up one of the other people on the same page of the register - I chose Bridget Miller - you'll see that the digital image is also unavailable for this entry.

I would suggest telephoning the GRO and asking how to proceed. It's some years since I've phoned their Customer Services, but they were always very helpful. You could, of course, order the local certificate - which would be more authentic - but then we wouldn't gain any insight into this issue!
 
Thanks Peter. I already jumped the gun and requested a manual search, so I'll see how that goes. It's been a long while since I last had to do that and I think the process has changed, as I recall you always had to specify a registration district whereas now they just ask for an address. (Or maybe I'm remembering wrong?)

I always forget about local certificates, that's a road I've never had to go down before!
 
If going for local certificates, starting from a GRO entry (let's assume we've got a valid one, not with the sort of problems PaulC is having), what is the procedure - or does every local office have a slightly different procedure?
 
After requesting a manual search for this DC the other week, I've just been refunded again so GRO clearly can't find it. Their email simply says:

We have been unable to process your application.

This record is currently unavailable to us. The record will be held by the Local Register Office where the event was registered.

I've now ordered a certificate from Liverpool City Council, so we'll see how I get on with that!
 
DC arrived from Liverpool today, not sure what I was expecting but it looks a lot like the GRO ones (though not identical).
 
Back
Top