• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Great Yarmouth

AnneC

LostCousins Star
I have many ancestors that lived and worked in the Rows of Great Yarmouth. This link has an abundance of information including maps, descriptions, list of people, occupations, photographs, drawings etc etc. Well worth a look if you have connections with Yarmouth. At one time this was available to buy on CD - I have tried in vain to contact the sellers, but get no reply. If anyone has new contact details I would appreciate you passing them on.


I would also recommend a visit to the Time & Tide Museum if you are in the area.

Time & Tide in Great Yarmouth is set in one of the UK's best preserved Victorian Herring curing works, and tells the story of Great Yarmouth from its ice age origins to the present day.
Experience the heady atmosphere of a 1950's fish wharf and take the wheel of a steam drifter. Hear gripping tales of wreck and rescue and meet some of the colourful characters who made their living from the sea.

Explore the original smokehouses where the lingering aroma of smoke fish is a reminder of times gone by. Enjoy fascinating archive film shows and hands on displays and relax in the attractive courtyard beneath a canopy of sails.

It is also possible to visit some of the Row houses that have been preserved

Great Yarmouth Row Houses: Visit these unique and vividly presented houses, one set in 1870 and the other in 1942, just before the incendiary bombing.

Explore the nearby Greyfriar's Cloisters and view the remains of a 13th century Franciscan Friary with our free guided tours.
 
I have many ancestors that lived and worked in the Rows of Great Yarmouth. This link has an abundance of information including maps, descriptions, list of people, occupations, photographs, drawings etc etc. Well worth a look if you have connections with Yarmouth. At one time this was available to buy on CD - I have tried in vain to contact the sellers, but get no reply. If anyone has new contact details I would appreciate you passing them on.

I wrote about this link to "The New Perlustration of Great Yarmouth" by Mark Rumble a few years ago. This link now no longer works and I have tried in vain to obtain a copy of the CD, or even an archived version of the website. Does anyone know how I can get a copy?
 
Thanks Adrienne for the suggestion and the link (which I had come across in my searches). I will try the museum. I have also contacted the newspaper that had quoted various bits from Mark Rumble's document (and they also have lost touch with him) and even searched on ebay etc to see if I can buy an old copy, but no luck. It's such a shame if all his work is not put to use.
 
Back
Top