Your father's father is a GRANDfather so I suppose it the correct form. A granduncle's father is a great granduncle.Has 'grand aunt/uncle' become the accepted term for our grandparents siblings? ( I do prefer it to great aunt/uncle)
Well my first Family Tree software (Family Tree Legends-FTL -sadly now obsolete) always used the term 'Grand' over 'Great' and I too prefer that form of address. However in my youth I had a Great Uncle Peter and indeed Great Uncle George and (to we kids) that is how they were addressed. George was a sibling of my Grandfather (FTL maintained he was a Grand Uncle) whilst Peter married a sibling of my Grandmother's and -again in FTL -she was referred to as a Grand Aunt and George Grand Uncle by marriage. That said it seems I cannot escape the term 'Great' being applied to me as my younger sister insists on telling her Grandchildren I am Great Uncle Bob and won't accept Grand at any cost.Has 'grand aunt/uncle' become the accepted term for our grandparents siblings? ( I do prefer it to great aunt/uncle)
Interesting Gillian but I cannot recall a choice in my old FTL program it just defaulted to Grand over Great which is strange considering it is an ages old program. On a whim I checked out Ancestry today with the names mentioned in my previous posting and Ancestry too refers to them as Grand. Perhaps that is becoming the preferred Genealogical form of address for siblings of grand parents, but it is good that Legacy offers choice.Legacy asks you which term you would like to use: grand or great for uncles etc. Neither is preferred; you choose in Customise. I imagine it's the same in other programs, too.
View attachment 888
Thank you, Gillian - a typing error.Actually paternal grandfather is farfar, not forfar - father's father.
I've typically heard great-aunt, etc but believe they may be interchangeable as Gillian suggests. However I have heard that some have taken to preferring grand aunt over great aunt as it makes them sound less old.Legacy asks you which term you would like to use: grand or great for uncles etc. Neither is preferred; you choose in Customise. I imagine it's the same in other programs, too.
I had a couple of "great" great-aunts through kith and kin, who were both quite Victorian and modern in their views. "Kith" would I suspect describe my godmother , and she had an aunt ( born 1879) who lived with the family during the years I was also living with them on and off. "Kanty" as we called her had been a pillar of the local WVS during WWII and was still dispensing tea when I knew her in the 1950's and 60's. "Kin", courtesy of my stepfather, were his two lovely aunts,( born in 1884 and 1890) who lived in one of the magnificent late Victorian blocks of flats in Hampstead.I've typically heard great-aunt, etc ..... it makes them sound less old.![]()
My great niece and nephew have sorted the problem, they call me Aunty Grandma.
It reminds me of the tongue-twisting football score, Forfar 5 East Fife 4Actually paternal grandfather is farfar, not forfar - father's father.
Your great/grand nephew was born 30 years ago that's plenty of time for you to now be a great great aunt or even just possibly a 3x great aunt. Now THAT would make you feel oldI had never heard the term "grand aunt" except on this forum. I had two great aunts (never met them, just knew about them; one lived in England) and they were always referred to in that manner. When my sister's grandson was born 30 years ago she called me and informed me that I was now a great aunt. For some reason that made me feel older than being a grandmother did, maybe because my great aunts were much older when they died than I was at the time.
Ah you're a fan of the Two Ronnies? That's from one of their sketches.It reminds me of the tongue-twisting football score, Forfar 5 East Fife 4