• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GPO Occupations

LauraN

LostCousins Member
I've come across a relative who worked for the Post Office in 1941.
His occupation is swce11. I have tried to find out what this is with no success. I've highlighted it in the attachment. Also does anyone know what TMO stands for
Thanks
Zara
 

Attachments

  • GPO job.jpg
    GPO job.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 6
The 1939 register says he was a skilled workman in the Post Office engineering department. This could explain the SW part. It also states that he was a cable jointer - electrical. I missed this bit as it was on the line below. This explains it all. Thank you. I do feel a bit silly.;) I suppose the 11 means he was Class 11.
Thanks for the quick reply.
 
I think this will be very useful - it's "A guide to Family History Research" from the Postal Museum. At the end there is a list of staff grades, such as:
SW 1 and SW 2 - skilled workman class 1 and 2 (plus variants of those)
USW - Unestablished Skilled Workman
Tpnst - telephonist
SC&T - sorting clerk & telephonist
TMO - telephone manager's office
 
Thank you for the information. This is very useful. I have a fair few GPO workers. It will come in handy.
 
I think this will be very useful - it's "A guide to Family History Research" from the Postal Museum.
Thanks, Stuart - I linked to that guide from the May 2015 newsletter but the link no longer worked, so I have updated it. However, after nearly a decade it probably deserves another mention in the newsletter.
 
Back
Top