Liberty
LostCousins Megastar
I enjoyed the interview with Gordon Honeycombe (please thank him for me, Peter, next time you are in contact). It made me wonder, though, how common it is for everyone of one surname to be descended from a single ancestor, as are the Honeycombes. I belive the same was revealed for the Paxman name in WDYTYA (an ancestor who made the PR move of calling himself a 'man of peace'). Also, I recall reading an autobiography/memoir by Donald Sindon where he made the same claim for the Sindon name (an ancestor who rejoined secular life at the Dissolution of the Monasteries and chose the word for Jesus' shroud as his surname).
I have a couple of instances in my direct ancestry where I wonder if the name also came from just one person. Was there originally just one man who insisted he was a Herdman not a Shepherd? And for the direct ancestor called Strangleman, I'm not sure I want to know. Perhaps a mediaeval equivalent of Jack the Ripper???
I have a couple of instances in my direct ancestry where I wonder if the name also came from just one person. Was there originally just one man who insisted he was a Herdman not a Shepherd? And for the direct ancestor called Strangleman, I'm not sure I want to know. Perhaps a mediaeval equivalent of Jack the Ripper???