More a problem with Google geocoding rather than FTA but can anybody help to explain why it has such difficulty in certain cases. Is there anything that I can do to make the geocoding process more successful?
I have a reference to St Mary's church at Walberton, Sussex, for which the Locations Geocoding Status Report shows . . .
tick? - England, Sussex, Walberton - Partial Match (Google) - Walberton, West Sussex, UK
tick? - England, Sussex, Walberton, St Mary - Partial Match (Google) -St Mary's Binstead, Walberton, West Sussex BN18, UK
! - England, Sussex, Walberton, St Mary the Virgin - Partial Match (Levels) - England, UK
St Mary's at Binstead is more than 1 km due east from St Mary's parish church at the end of Church Lane, Walberton (where I have visited) but seems to be unkown to Google Maps. Giving the name of the church as St Mary the Virgin fools it completely and results in a match for England only, not even Sussex. Fortunately, I know the area in this case and am able to manually reset the location position. However, there are other locations which are not known to me but for which the Google Partial Match is similarly unhelpful.
I am totally confused about some of the various status indicators and what they are supposed to mean. I have looked at the geocoding help on the web but that does not explain. Am I the only person having trouble with this or is anybody else confused too?