Steve Henley
LostCousins Member
I started a tree on GenesReunited.com back in 2005 and still use it. I like the stability - and also its lack of interventionism. I know what my geographical place names refer to, and don't need to say explicitly that they are England (or Australia, New Zealand, etc.) to prevent a dumb AI-powered website insisting that it knows better. But since its acquisition by FindMyPast the level of support for G-R has become abysmal, maybe to try driving users into its own tree offering. If they want to migrate users to their own tree they need to offer some incentive. My main purpose in using G-R at the beginning was to find cousins, but LostCousins can do this more reliably and effectively. I like the look and functionality of G-R trees as well as the relatively low cost - but if necessary would rather take the tree offline or move the data across to the totally free Wikitree than be pushed into letting FindMyPast or Ancestry do their worst to it. Does anyone have similar experience, or suggestions? I know there are other online tree options such as MyHeritage and have links with cousins who have trees there (which they have shared with me), but I'm not particularly impressed by them.