• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Gas maker at gas works

CarolB08

LostCousins Member
Tonight while looking on the 1911 census I came across a distant relative of my husbands who said he was
a "Gas maker in gas works at Lord Rayleighs, Terling, Place" ? Now I knew that Terling Place was the original dairy farm for Lord Rayleighs dairies and quite a few of hubbies relatives have worked there. But this had me stumped, why would someone be making GAS on a dairy farm.
Then I looked at the excellent link to the Index of old occupations shared by RosemaryC and all became clear, I quote;
Gas Maker Made gas by heating coal to produce gas, which was purified to remove the tar. The coal would be turned into coke. The gas could be used for lighting, heating or powering a gas engine. The tar was used in road surfacing.
Brilliant, thank you so much Rosemary C I would never have thought of that use :)
 
Back
Top