• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2024 RELEASED!

peter

Administrator
Staff member
Greetings Peter,

A MOTHERS DAY PRESENT
Today is Mothers Day in much of the world, so we're especially delighted to tell you that your copy of FTM 2024 is ready for you to pick up! We're really sorry it took so long this time to get it just right and hope you'll find it's been worth the wait.

GETTING READY
About all you need to do is back up your main tree. If you're using TreeVault, you're all set. If not, then back up manually (File>Backup) and keep a copy outside your computer, preferably in a secure online location. That's it!

PICKING UP YOUR COPY

Head over to our Upgrade Center where your FTM 2024 download will already be marked "PAID". If you get stuck, you can get step-by-step instructions here. Ready?
 
You actually need to install the new program on your computer - if it has worked you should have FTM twice - once blue 2019 and the new one which is green and says "2024".

Thank you, pjd and Jorghes. I finally figured it out when I saw the two icons. However, I do not see any difference in the program.

Shoud I be uninstalling the 2019 program?
 
Thank you, pjd and Jorghes. I finally figured it out when I saw the two icons. However, I do not see any difference in the program.

Shoud I be uninstalling the 2019 program?

That is what I will be doing, as there is no point having two programs taking up the space on your hard drive. I have seen a couple of notes on other forums that suggest that 2024 works faster (processing wise) than 2019. There are a few differences in how far you can roll back changes you make, and the "connect" function is new - which allows you to share your tree from FTM to people with the app and allows them to make notes on the tree themselves. I haven't tried that yet, but I might choose a guinea pig, like my brother to use it so I can see how it works.

The two arrows in the corners of the workspace allow you to make each workspace larger, which I already like as it makes everything except the family tree larger (and you can play with zoom on that already) and since my eyes aren't fabulous so much easier to read.

It should be also noted that it is highly unlikely that 2019 will be updated again.

Note: I just created a report and it took seconds - with 2019 it would need thinking time. I'm now going to try it with my enormous tree and see how it goes.

Note 2: a 221 page report took significantly less time than 2019 to generate.
 
Unless you are very short of space on your hard drive I'd suggest keeping it for now, just in a case a bug shows up. I speak as a former software developer.....

Thank you, Peter. According to Settings, I have used 11.3 GB of 1T cloud space, so have a lot of room.
 
According to Settings, I have used 11.3 GB of 1T cloud space, so have a lot of room.

You may have the software backed up to the cloud (but I doubt it) but I think you'll find the software is installed on your local hard drive.
 
I have not received my email yet but then I think I was using an email I have since stopped using and deleted, can I still go an get my copy or do I need to let them know of the email change and if so how ?
 
Its alright I went and was able to download it, I still have to change my email so I do not miss this kind of message again.
 
I am what is called a twit, I misread this and as a result got myself into all kinds of problems, I read it as an update to 2019 called 24 not the new programme 2024 :rolleyes: so please disregard all my comments above. :)
 
Back
Top