jbuchanangb
Member
Hello
Just thought I would give you the benefit of my experiments.
I have exported my GEDCOM file and the analyzer tells me that I have 8376 individuals in 2308 families.
It found 8985 census facts, of which 2 were unusable, and 1114 residence facts of which 623 were treated as census facts.
I investigated the 2 unusable census facts and found that they were both Iowa State census facts from 1895.
It also reported some other apparent data errors, including one case where a person had been baptised as an adult (described as "of riper years"). She married in 1747, was baptised in 1749, and had a daughter in 1757. There is a GEDCOM tag CHR used for christenings, and a different one BAPT used for baptisms. This caused 5 data errors to be reported.
I have 2769 entries in the Lost Cousins system, and, needless to say, there were no Lost Cousins facts in my GEDCOM file.
By looking in the forum I discovered the required GEDCOM format for a Lost Cousins fact, and created a new Tag Type in TMG to generate such a thing.
I discovered that I had made two rather fundamental errors when entering census dates into my TMG database. Utterly inexcusable laziness on my part, partly exposed by FTA. I had entered the date of the 1901 census as April 1901, and the date of the 1851 census as April 1851. FTA announced that it had found over 100 suspect 1901 census entries, but tolerated them. It did not announce any suspect 1851 entries. The evidence, from the Colour Census Report, is that it disregarded all the dodgy 1901 and 1851 census entries.
I decided that I would try to get maximum GREEN boxes for direct ancestors, mine and my wife's, (270 individuals) by correcting entries in my TMG database and inserting "Lost Cousin" tags. To achieve this I changed the root person to my daughter and used the Colour Census Report to view only Direct Ancestors, and sort in ascending Ahnentafel order.
I went through and corrected 1901 and 1851 census dates, which helped a lot. I added 60 Lost Cousins tags. It may take me a while to enter the other 2709. It seems that a Lost Cousin tag is needed per individual, doesn't work as a family tag.
I found that my practice of creating one family census entry in the TMG database with parents as principals and children or other household members as "witnesses" meant that the children/others did not have a CENS tag in the exported GEDCOM. In most cases I corrected this by creating a RESI tag with the census date, to make use of the FTA feature to treat these as census facts.
I have noticed that FTA is reporting at least one 1841 census entry as detected when the person concerned does not have such a census entry.
It is a bit annoying that the Colour Census Report reports RED for individuals for whom no Death date is available. For example I have an ancestor who was aged 65 in 1841, and is reported missing from all subsequent censuses up to 1911.
I have tested the click to search Find My Past, and it works. I even found a missing entry for one George Smith in 1871. (Wife's great grandfather.)
I have tried the "Show Missing from Census" report, and, even with "Direct Ancestors" selected, it gives me a bafflingly long list of 120 people, most of whom I am pretty sure couldn't have survived until 1881.
Another strange thing I noticed, when I used the "1881 Census Report" from the "Lost Cousins" tab. The report is headed "1881 England & Wales Census Records on file already entered into Lost Cousins Web site". It lists 1293 Records/387 Families. I can't figure out how FTA can have this vast list, when I have only entered 60 Lost Cousins tags into my GEDCOM. Should the heading read "NOT already entered"?
When I double click an entry on this list, I get an error message "Sorry non UK census searching of Find My Past isn't supported in this version of FTAnalyzer". I wasn't expecting that.
The statistics report 24 lone individuals. I would quite like to find these people.
If anyone would like to comment on my feedback, I would welcome it.
Just thought I would give you the benefit of my experiments.
I have exported my GEDCOM file and the analyzer tells me that I have 8376 individuals in 2308 families.
It found 8985 census facts, of which 2 were unusable, and 1114 residence facts of which 623 were treated as census facts.
I investigated the 2 unusable census facts and found that they were both Iowa State census facts from 1895.
It also reported some other apparent data errors, including one case where a person had been baptised as an adult (described as "of riper years"). She married in 1747, was baptised in 1749, and had a daughter in 1757. There is a GEDCOM tag CHR used for christenings, and a different one BAPT used for baptisms. This caused 5 data errors to be reported.
I have 2769 entries in the Lost Cousins system, and, needless to say, there were no Lost Cousins facts in my GEDCOM file.
By looking in the forum I discovered the required GEDCOM format for a Lost Cousins fact, and created a new Tag Type in TMG to generate such a thing.
I discovered that I had made two rather fundamental errors when entering census dates into my TMG database. Utterly inexcusable laziness on my part, partly exposed by FTA. I had entered the date of the 1901 census as April 1901, and the date of the 1851 census as April 1851. FTA announced that it had found over 100 suspect 1901 census entries, but tolerated them. It did not announce any suspect 1851 entries. The evidence, from the Colour Census Report, is that it disregarded all the dodgy 1901 and 1851 census entries.
I decided that I would try to get maximum GREEN boxes for direct ancestors, mine and my wife's, (270 individuals) by correcting entries in my TMG database and inserting "Lost Cousin" tags. To achieve this I changed the root person to my daughter and used the Colour Census Report to view only Direct Ancestors, and sort in ascending Ahnentafel order.
I went through and corrected 1901 and 1851 census dates, which helped a lot. I added 60 Lost Cousins tags. It may take me a while to enter the other 2709. It seems that a Lost Cousin tag is needed per individual, doesn't work as a family tag.
I found that my practice of creating one family census entry in the TMG database with parents as principals and children or other household members as "witnesses" meant that the children/others did not have a CENS tag in the exported GEDCOM. In most cases I corrected this by creating a RESI tag with the census date, to make use of the FTA feature to treat these as census facts.
I have noticed that FTA is reporting at least one 1841 census entry as detected when the person concerned does not have such a census entry.
It is a bit annoying that the Colour Census Report reports RED for individuals for whom no Death date is available. For example I have an ancestor who was aged 65 in 1841, and is reported missing from all subsequent censuses up to 1911.
I have tested the click to search Find My Past, and it works. I even found a missing entry for one George Smith in 1871. (Wife's great grandfather.)
I have tried the "Show Missing from Census" report, and, even with "Direct Ancestors" selected, it gives me a bafflingly long list of 120 people, most of whom I am pretty sure couldn't have survived until 1881.
Another strange thing I noticed, when I used the "1881 Census Report" from the "Lost Cousins" tab. The report is headed "1881 England & Wales Census Records on file already entered into Lost Cousins Web site". It lists 1293 Records/387 Families. I can't figure out how FTA can have this vast list, when I have only entered 60 Lost Cousins tags into my GEDCOM. Should the heading read "NOT already entered"?
When I double click an entry on this list, I get an error message "Sorry non UK census searching of Find My Past isn't supported in this version of FTAnalyzer". I wasn't expecting that.
The statistics report 24 lone individuals. I would quite like to find these people.
If anyone would like to comment on my feedback, I would welcome it.
