GrahamSimons
Member
I would recommend www.genealogie.com as a French-language genealogy forum. People on it have been hugely helpful in my research.

Just spotted your reply, very many thanks. I will give it a go and see how I get on. Nothing ventured and all that.I've written in French - tried to be grammatical! On occasion I have posted in English in a hurry when trying to help someone else - and then wonderfully another poster has offered a translation.
The French Genealogy Blog may be of interest, too: http://french-genealogy.typepad.com/
I wonder if I can reverse the process of writing in English and having Google translate - which I hear does not always provide a literal (or should that be literate) translation - before posting in a Forum. I suppose I can get my brother-in-law to transcribe/translate by emailing him, although I prefer not to. It is likely I will have to ask him questions along the way anyway.
What fun the Google translator is and to test it out I have written a short part English part French email to my sister -to pass on to my Bro-in-law - whose French is better than his English [for obvious reasons] and to test it out. Apparently it passes muster if, as you say, it is kept simple. So with that behind me I posted a letter in a Forum asking for help. I added a footnote about using Google translator and apologising for any errors but will adopt your "Traduction par Google" suggestion next time.Yes, you can easily reverse the process. On the top of the page are two boxes, for translation To and From. Under each is a dropdown list, then choose your language for each. You would need English and French for your written word. If you wish to translate French into English, just click on the arrows in the box between these two different languages. Another good feature, imo, is that if you want to translate a language that you do not recognise, above these boxes is a Detect Language heading to click on.
Yes, again. Keep your words and sentences short and simple and your translation may be OK. As with all languages, the literal translation from one language to another can often be quite amusing and/or complete goobledegook (like that word!). If French to English, check you have entered or copied in the words correctly - I've found this is where many of my translation errors occur in the first place. Usually, if I use, say, English to French Google translation, I add a note at the top of the translation "Traduction par Google" ("Translation by Google"). Start with a "Bonjour" plenty of "s'il vous plaît" (please) and "merci" (thank you) or "merci beaucoup" (thank you very much) and you'll probably find the people very helpful and possibly fluent in English. You can copy and paste original Text and translated Text also to a Word document taking care only to highlight your actual words. If a short translation, I often include the original English for alternative reading.
Then, if you wish, copy and paste all this to a Word document file for future reference, give it a go, and before you know you'll be wearing a stereotypical black beret!And if all else fails, your bro-in-law will appreciate not having to translate it all, just the part where the Google translation cannot be understood. Good luck!
What fun the Google translator is and to test it out I have written a short part English part French email to my sister -to pass on to my Bro-in-law