• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FreeREG

Margaret Fisher

New Member
This site is growing daily with transcriptions of PRs from across the UK.

FreeREG

I have transcribed for this site - if anyone has time to spare, transcribing is a useful and very interesting way to pass it! I transcribed for the places which hold many of my ancestors and have made some interesting discoveries along with helping other researchers by putting these valuable resources on-line.

As with FreeBMD - it's essential to flag up any mistakes that are found - transcribers do their best but aren't infallible!
 
Hi Margaret
Looked at the site, seems quite good.
What do you get to transcribe from?
Is it the actual registers that have been scanned?
I might be interested in helping, even if I can only do small amounts, gets them out there doesn't it.
 
Hi Carol,

If you contact the co-ordinator of the county which interests you he/she will give you information on which PRs still need transcribing in that county. You will then get a password for an image server and you can download images of the actual registers for your chosen parish. They are really interesting because, as I'm sure you know, there is often more information on the actual registers than appears on transcriptions that appear on sites such as Family Search. There is room on the grid that is used for transcriptions for this additional information to be included.

You can transcribe as much or as little as you are able - all help is much appreciated by FreeReg.
 
Thanks Margaret.
I found some of mine done. As you say while looking for your own, you can put the others in that are on the page.
I'll pop over and do it now
 
Back
Top