• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Free access to Australian records

Margery

LostCousins Member
Ancestry.com.au is offering free access to Australian records over the Australia Day holiday weekend. This offer ends Monday night (Aus. time).
 
I have had a most productive weekend making use of this offer. Although I have no Australian roots my husband has a very colourful Aussie background, including a few convicts. The NSW Police Gazette was a mine of information and I discovered that a great uncle had a previously unknown criminal background, another seemed to be a serial victim, there being court cases where he was either maliciously wounded or had been inflicted with grievous bodily harm. Then another had a lot of trouble with watches as he reported on two occasions (years apart) that he had been the victim of theft of an Omega watch (previous research had uncovered his disappearance and bigamous marriage - this disappearance had been attributed his "death" while being a Missionary in Inland Australia)! And so it goes on - I now know where another black sheep uncle lived during and between his several marriages also his occupations - from the Electoral Rolls.

I hope that other Forum members were able to gain some useful information, I now have to put my new-found knowledge into some kind of order!
 
:( missed out on them all. Hopefully they'll do it again soon.
 
Back
Top