• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FREE ACCESS this weekend!

  • Thread starter Thread starter At home in NZ
  • Start date Start date
A

At home in NZ

Guest
That is the subject line of an email I have received about Newspapers.com. It is for free access to their Publisher Extra for Presidents weekend.

One of the suggested uses:
View the actual newspaper clipping image for all those obituary hints you've received

I know I have received a number of those hints and not been able to access the obituary because I do not subscribe to Publisher Extra. It's too expensive.

Problem is, how do we find the hints?? There is no such thing as a reporting system in Ancestry, has any member of Lost Cousins ever tried to create one?
 
This must be limited to certain countries since I did not get the e-mail. But, since I did receive an obit hint in my e-mail yesterday I decided to check it out today to see if just maybe it stretched to Canada - not. It was for the wife of my husband's 1st cousin twice removed and, according to the hint itself had her name spelled incorrectly anyway.

I get a number of those hints as well; too bad I did not make a list of them for future just-in-case reference.
 
This must be limited to certain countries since I did not get the e-mail.
It came from newspapers.com and it contained this:
*Access to Publisher Extra papers on Newspapers.‌com will be free until February 17, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. MT. Free Access available via the links in this email only. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view Publisher Extra papers using a Newspapers Publisher Extra subscription. Terms and Conditions apply.

I gather you need to be signed up to Newspapes.com via Ancestry to get the emails. Perhaps canadianbeth you aren't?

I'm hoping somebody might answer my question about reports.
 
No, I am not signed up to newspapers.com; as you said it is too expensive. Perhaps in future I will make a list of newspaper obit hints and when I have several will take advantage of the seven day free trial.
 
I have All Access subscription to Ancestry which includes the basic access to Newspapers.com. Even so I still needed to sign up, separately. (proverbial pain!)
The free access which is the subject of this discussion is for Publisher Extra which is an extension to Newspapers.com and I keep deleting the emails that are asking me to take it up.
 
So even with All Access (just looked at that; it is $50 more for a six-month subscription) you cannot get the obits without paying even more? My current subscription expires next month; I might consider upgrading to All Access but I am not sure if it is really worth it.
 
you cannot get the obits without paying even more?
Spot on canadianbeth, it's what I call a right royal rip off.
I have All Access because I have a million and one 'cousins' scattered throughout USA thanks to my Irish ancestry and a million and one in Australia thanks to my convict ancestors.
All Access also give you access to Fold3 which I have found useful, occasionally, although that's another pain because you need to register for that as well.
 
Back
Top