• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Francis Frith Collection

emjay

LostCousins Member
Great! Ancestry UK have got the collection to view. I'm 'wasting' hours scrolling through these photos !
 
Aren't they wonderful? Pity I discovered the collection just as I was thinking it was bed-time. Perhaps it isn't after all!
 
Some of the more recent photos fill me with nostalgia. I've now spent hours - too many - trawling through some of the towns I've lived in.
 
We have a few books by Francis Frith of the towns we grew up in, lovely memories, must pay Ancestry a visit.
 
The postcards have helped me add some clarity to hazy memories about old childhood haunts of mine . I am trying to look at some of the images and the ** website keeps suggesting I visit the US site since they want me to pay for downloads. It is the Francis Frith original website however and not the Ancestry link which may be selective. Not sure if the added memories show up on the Ancestry site.
 
"Have I just noticed it or has Ancestry had a link to some postcard collections for quite some time? I think it's just another example of how much people like to clutter their trees with any old image when a properly researched one would be interesting, informative and even entertaining. It's a great shame for example that the Canada Collection of Postcards is provided by an American on line postcard seller when there are several very reputable and knowledgeable Canadian sellers. In addition there is no attempt to date the postcards even when the reverse image has a date stamp and no time frame option to search. I've written to Ancestry regarding the entire on -line collection so we'll see how they respond." ....post from "yours truly" October 2013 and a response from my buddy Emjay ......

"Yes, the lack of a date is typical of such collections (some photo collection also)...very frustrating , a little effort could make all the difference. :)oops: should this be winge of the week)" emjay, Oct 8, 2013....isn't this clever, just a few clicks and the clocks are turned back !!!! Wish life was that easy.

I don't think Ancestry ever responded and maybe I was a bit harsh with the cluttering remark but the point about postcards reverse sides is still a hobby horse and hobby of mine. So while I am thinking of it I'm off to see if I can find my WWI postcards from soldiers ( minuscule) collection. Goodnight all.
 
TOY soldiers? Sorry I couldn't resist that!
No apology necessary and if you look for the link on the LOTFWW Facebook page you'll see I found it. I've gone on to post a remembrance of a soldier, based on the information I found on the reverse side of the card, to the IWM site
 
Back
Top